Ok to use synthetic oil in 20HP Honda?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gary_floyd04, May 16, 2005.

1. gary_floyd04

gary_floyd04 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 20/52 Fastrak and want to replace my filter/oil in the first 5 hrs. The Honda manual mentions nothing about the use of synthetic oil. Obviously, I don't want to do anything to void my warranty, but have always thought that using synthetic can only extend my engine life. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on the subject? BTW, I visited this site numerous times prior to purchasing my Fastrak and found it helpful and, in fact, a major factor in deciding to go forward. I'm having so much fun and waiting for the grass to grow! :)

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Using synthetic oil in your FasTrak is not going to void you warranty.
    Go ahead and switch over to it.
    There are plenty of people on this site that have switched over, you can do a search also, it will give you plenty of good reading.

Pj

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Honda recommends 10W30 weight oil for general use.

Honda does not recommend any oil other than "Honda Power Equipment Oil". Any high quality motor oil the meets the latest API gasoline rating (SJ, SL)would be suitable. Synthetic oils would be included.

Do not use synthetic oil until the engine has at least 50 hours of use. Pistion rings may not seat properly if synthetic oil is used during the break-in period.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products
    Honda Engine Distributor-Kansas and Missouri.

4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

THe dealer I bought my new mini from said honda has been having problems with syn in their motors. Is there any truth to this?

He also said using syn will void my warranty. Are you sure about this, being a Hustler rep? I am just asking for clarification, I KNOW you give good info here.....

5. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Mr. Magpie:

I am unaware of any issues related to the use of synthetic oil, other than not using any during the brek-in period.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor-Kansas and Missouri

"Honda recommends 10W30 weight oil for general use.

Honda does not recommend any oil other than "Honda Power Equipment Oil". Any high quality motor oil the meets the latest API gasoline rating (SJ, SL)would be suitable. Synthetic oils would be included.

Do not use synthetic oil until the engine has at least 50 hours of use. Pistion rings may not seat properly if synthetic oil is used during the break-in period."

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As a Hustler rep, I can not comment on a Honda engine, but the Honda distributor rep (jneedham) has posted about this, just a couple posts above this one.

Pj