Ok to "weed & feed" now??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kbreese, May 20, 2006.

1. kbreese

kbreese LawnSite Member

I had the lawn thatched and overseeded & fertilized 3 weeks ago, than the following week I put down more seed & starter fertilizer again (2 weeks ago) as I felt the guy didn't put down enough seed initially.

He told me to wait like a month before putting down any weed killer, but I am having a lot of weeds coming in right now, so I want to know if it's ok to do it sooner. Alot of the bare spots have already sprouted. Some more than other and some none at all. And there is still a good amount of seed I can see in some areas.

I have a bag of Scotts "Weed and feed"...will this kill the seed that hasnt germinated yet? Or is it too late for that seed to germinate anyway? I don't know if it kinda dies after a couple weeks of sitting on top of the soil or grass. I have been watering it 3 times a day (IG sprinklers) keeping everything wet, and we have also had a lot of rain too, so that hasnt been a problem. Just all these darned weeds I want to kill!

2. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

general rule of thumb now chemical weeding until 4th mowing in my book, remove them by hand for now, or spot spray.

3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

No dont weed and feed, it will ruin the seed. You were probably seeded with a mixture of grasses. one will be fast to sprout and grow to help retain the soil etc. and the other two will be slower growing sun and shade grasses. Locally they use annual rye mixed with ky bluegrass and red fescue. the BG and fescue can take upwards of a month to germinate. For now get the grass started and worry about weeds next year.

4. kbreese

kbreese LawnSite Member

The seed used was "Rebel Supreme" which is a Fescue blend. Ok so the seeds are likely still in the germination process?? The other side if the driveway was all dirt and we had topsoil put down and seed etc making a brand new lawn. This was done the same time. Alot of grass has sprouted over there some like 3" tall. There is still alot of bare spots, in between etc etc, i'd say maybe 50% coverage right now. So i take it it will still continue to fill in a lot more?? LWe have definitely been keeping it well watered and there is no shade, its pretty much fully exposed.

As far as the weed and feed so I shouldnt do this at all? What about in another few weeks? Or its too late in the season??

5. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Fescues can be very slow starters, a second round of seeding may also be needed in the thin areas. For now Id just sit and watch the grass grow :) If it doesnt start up in a week or two more you might have an issue or two you need to fix.

Wait at least untill the fall weed season for the weed and feed.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Cut back your watering a little. Take it easy with the fert too. You have overfertilized the ground by following up your installers fertilizer with some of your own. Too much fert = weed heaven. Same goes with the water. Too much water and the grass will not grow as it should instead weeds will take over. No weed and feed now, it has more fertilizer in it and that is the last thing you need at this point.

7. kbreese

kbreese LawnSite Member

Well, its not 20 mins per cycle, I set it to only 10 mins for each zone, 3X a day. Reason being you are supposed to keep it "moist" which is hard, especially with no shade. Should I still cut back??

I think you are right about the fertilizer, b/c a LOT of weeds have come in!

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Has all the seed germinated yet?

9. kbreese

kbreese LawnSite Member

I am not sure. The original seeding was 3 weeks ago, and than I reseeded 2 weeks ago. As I said before there is still some visible seed sitting on top ot the ground in places, so I guess the answer is no. But I don't know if that seed will ever germinate since it's kinda just laying there. Not sure if there is enough soil contact. a decent amount of it has germinated though, b/c there is new grass coming up in a lot of the bare spots. As far as the side that where a new lawn was started with the new topsoil, its about 50% coverage grass to soil. Not sure if more seed will continue to germinate or not. When I reseeded I also re-raked the whole thing to get the seeds into the soil, so alot of seeds arent visible being under the soil.

10. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Kbreese, I live in Stratford, CT, so I can actually see Port Jeff, LI from the beach here. Did you get the same flooding that we got last week from all of the rain? We got up to 8 inches of rain here on the other side of the LI Sound.....if you got that much rain, there's a good chance that your seed washed away. If so, don't feel too bad. A lot of people had that problem.

Unfortunately, even if your seed didn't wash away. there's also a good chance that by seeding on top of what your landscaper seeded, you put down too much seed. Creeping Red Fescue (which is probably what your landscaper put down if you're saying "fescue" spreads as it grows, so even though you may think he didn't put down enough, maybe he did). Too much seed causes the seedlings to choke themselves out. Best advice is to leave it alone for another week or so and see what happens. If nothing takes, put down perennial rye (not annual rye) without fert. Perennial rye should come up within a week or so. Overseed again with your fescues, etc later in the fall when weed competition is less of an issue.

Shane