OK, u decide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Apr 2, 2006.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent a e-mail of cancelation to a long time customer yesterday because as of May of last year, it has become too difficult to collect payment from him. I would send an invoice and after 15 days, send late notices at least once to three times before I see any payment. We do a bunch of his neighbors all around his home and I havent seen him at home in a while.
    Well this morning I get a reply from him saying that he is sorry, that he has been in and out of the hospital and hasnt kept up with his bills very well, if theres a balance, he will send it rite in and thanked me for my help.
    Well, what do u think. Should I give this guy another chance? Should I make him prepay? or should I just cut him loose. :dancing:

2. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

Can you verify his story? If it is true I would think about giving him another chance, however I would make sure that he understands if the invoices are not paid within the 15 days that services will be stopped immediately!

That's just my thoughts on it I guess!

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above.

4. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

I give second chances sometimes but never third.

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that for whatever reason (usually out of town on business) tends to fall behind. Then I call him and he apologizes profusely and sends in a check to cover the balance plus late fees and additional money to cover the next couple of months. It's a super easy and very profitable account so I don't get too worked up but yes, it's frustrating, especially towards the end of the month when money is getting tight.

I think you have to take these situations on a case by case basis and go from there. Yes, you can have a zero tolerance policy but when it comes to getting the bills paid, the mortgage is probably going to come first and the lawn guy last.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's causing you hardships by way of cashflow because he's late, make him prepay.

If you get absolutely fed up with it because he's the only one that's late, make him prepay.

If you could care less, you don't need the account, or you're fed up with the whole ordeal, cut him loose.

I did that with a Wal-Mart this year.

A $2,000 / month account and I'm saying no thanks after 6 years.

They always paid within 10 days, but I can't stand the new manager that's there. It's the 4th manager in 6 years that I've been doing the store, and I'm just bugged that it always takes until April 20th for them to make a decision on whether they're going to have me back again.

This year I'm tired of dealing with them, so I'm waiting until the 20th for them to call me up and say "we want you back on board".

I'm telling them, "sorry, I've already filled the schedule for this year".

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Damn, you're a hard azz Jeremy :laugh:

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You know the deal Rod....

You've been in business long enough.

It nice to not have to scrounge for work every spring.

There's a little hit to the pocket book, since it's about 10% of my gross each month, but maybe I can learn to cut back on the spending habits I've got too..... :D

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If the guy is telling the truth I would give him a second chance even though I would prefer it to be prepaid. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and if they are truthful with me I will try to work with them expecially a good account.

10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You said above, he has been a long time customer. If this was the 1st year it ever happened, then cut him a break. I have a few customers that hold off on paying me sometimes. But if i have been with them for years i just blow it off to hard times. Most let me know if they will be late ahead of time, like going out of town and vacations. I just collect when they get back. Now if it's a new customer, and money is late all the time, drop them like a hot potatoe.