OK walker guys, is this a fair price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ince8728, Nov 23, 2004.

1. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

Alright, so i've been looking for a walker for a month or so now. I found a 2002 48" GHS with a 20Horse Kohler and the 9.5 bushel catcher. It has close to 1500 hrs but not quite. The guy wants $5000 firm (cash) but i would feel alot better with $4800. What do you guys think?

- Matt

2. bobcat2003

bobcat2003 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

What kind of condition is it in.Also what type of maintenence was done on this machine.I have used the walker they are a good machine I personally do not care for them but that's my opinion.I've seen alot of stuff bad on the walker as not only do I cut grass but i work part time as a mower mechanic and we do alot of work on walkers.In are area most of the ones that have that many hours on them are pretty much worn out,plus no warranty.

Just my 2 cents

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If the walker mowers have been maintained they ususally will last quite some time. I have seen guys getting 3,000 -4,000 hrs out of them. Of course the engines had been replaced. They are a very versitile mower. I like mine becasue with the baggin deck you can suck the leaves right up from parking lots, lawns, and dump them and suck them up with your leaf vac. Second, you can buy larger discharge decks and use them for open area's. But they are not as fast a mid-mounts

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Price seems about average though.

5. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i spoke to the machine maintenance guy that works for the company that owns it now & he said that they had no major probs, just reg wear & tear. Origional engine.

6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

Actually they last even longer than that. A guy i used to work for had two old model C's, one with 15,000 & the other with 7000 hrs, both ran and cut great, but i'm not sure how many engines they went through lol.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Price seems a little high for that many hours. That is a lot of hours for a 2 year old machine. I would offer $4200 - $4500 or so.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You can expect to replace the engin at around 2000 hours. Be sure to check out the blower housing and impeller for wear. The price is high.

Gene

9. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Gene is correct about that blower assembly-If there's any play at all-the vacuuming action will definitely be affected. The price does seem a little high for that mower w/original engine. The 26hp (fuel injected) model will easily get past 2k hours,not sure about the others, especially if you keep a good semi or full synthetic in it.

10. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Gene is right on this the wear on the blower blade can tell how hard it has been at it.I got my 98 with 1000 hours on it up in Calgary Alberta for $6000.oo
    Cad so I find you should be able to knock him down a bit from that $5000.00 us.I agree they motor is getting close on it's lifespan at 2000 hrs.But overall I am very happy with this thing,leaf season I laugh at it. :)