OK....what would you choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aleman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Just to get everyones thoughts...Heres your situation...You can have one one mower, just one...you have a wide range of yards...you have several fescue yards plus a few Bermuda..some are wide open 30K+ sq ft some are 6k, with natural areas, misplaced trees and ac units on the side on the house that require allot of maneuvering to get it as close as possible...several are a mix of the above...some also have fences with 60" gates....then of course theres the one on the corner with the STEEP hill....so...which mower are you gonna choose to be the most efficient on this mix of yards??

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

A gateway type hydro walk behind

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Well that sounds challenging. I would just get a 26 hp Bad Boy pup series ztr. It seems like a versatle machine even though i've never used one. My second choice would be a 52 or 60 inch hustler ztr. They have a lower center of gravity so they will definately hold hills better. Thats just my 2 cents.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Sold my 2, but a 48" stander should handle these varying situations w/ no problem ... just get it w/ an 18 hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin, or similar 19 HP Kaw.

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Turf Tracer 60 if it will fit, 52 if 60 is too big.
    The large framed TT handles hills great and is very manuverable

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the widest I could that would fit aroung the beds, house, AC units and such. As far as hills, my 52' toro W/B hydro does great but my Super Z 60' will hold any hill that it can. So I guess with just one mower it'd be my super z if it would fit about anywhere I needed it to. Shoot, that's what I do now. And as far as the type of grass any of mine do just fine.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

52" Hp

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have to agree with PJ. If I can only have one mower that needs to be big enough to cover larger areas, a WB so it can handle steeper hills/slopes, be able to fit through small gates (lots in my area), a hydro so it's super maneuverable, I see Hustlers Gatestar as fitting all those requirements.

Of course it remains to be seen whether it cuts well, but from what I hear about Hustlers other mowers, and seeing as how long this one is taking to get to market, my guess is it will perform well.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How about getting a 36" hydro walk behind and the 18" flex deck that flips up. This will get you through gates and also give you a 54" cut. The flex deck sticks out and is suppose to be great fro getting in tight areas. I have never used one, but if I had your situation I would. I have heard good things from people that have this setup. Plus the flex deck is removable easily.

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Easy, a 23hp 52" Wright Stander..