OK, who is not adding a fuel surcharge now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

OK, who is not adding a fuel surcharge now? I can not see how it can be avoided. That is a lot of money to eat.
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we havent and wont for at least a month. we're one of the highest priced services in the area and raised prices at the beginning of the year in anticipation of this. we are going to send a strong message to our customers and the customers of others that we can be depended upon to be consistent in EVERYTHING reguardless what happens locally or around the globe. our phone has been ringing off the hook recently as others surcharges have now surpassed our every day prices, or their scr*b lco has disappeared.

now taking resumes as well.
  3. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

I started just tonight on my end of the month billing. I cant beleive it has come to this. most of the time in the past if i raise my rates ill get complaints but now i hope they do call me to complain, I havent went up on some costomers in over 4 years. just this morning It cost me 150.00 to fill up the mowers and trucks. It took me probly 3-4 hours of working just to start making a profit, and thats only if nothing breaks down. ;)
  4. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Adding 5% to all my accounts as of 9-1-05. No other choice. Including a letter in my bills saying that the surcharge will stop when the fuel prices drop below $2.50/gal regular.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I am.. unless it rises to $4.00/gal
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm not. instead, i'm just gonna sit here and watch, as one by one, the local lco's go out of business. i, will reap the reward
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I anicipated increased cost this year. It is getting close to time, But up to now and unless it gets worse I have been absorbing it, we will see as time goes by but so far. No surcharge to any of mine.
    now if it stays this way, PLowing could be a different story. payup
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

haven't raised mowing prices but will charge a bit more for the bigger jobs I do (plant beds, minor hardscapes, etc.). Mowing is a nice extra income but I use it to get my foot in the door so to speak.

I raised all accounts I took over at the beginning of season, ones I had given/dumped on me will be raised beginning of next season.
  9. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

No surcharge here. I base my pricing on $3 a gallon, its currently $3.09 not near enough to make me charge extra. Besides I have fuel at my house/shop that I got for $2.30/gallon just a few months ago, so that also helps insulate me.
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have not and will not add a fuel surcharge. I am planning on raising rates next year anyway, and all new accounts I have landed recently have been properly priced. So now I am just absorbing it. My routes are very tight and I use very little gas servicing my accounts. Most of my gas gets used driving around town for personal reasons, which my girlfriend will be doing from now on in her little RAV4. (25mpg must be nice :blob3: )