1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ok...Who takes the trimmer guards off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drumbo, Apr 8, 2008.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Who leaves the string trimmer guards on? Why?

Who takes them off? Why?
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I take them off. I just cant get enough string out with them on.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I leave mine on so that it will still cut the string and remain balanced. It doesn't bother me that a small amount of string is all that is let out.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Off. Once I tried this years back I can now never go back to using them with the guards on. It's a lot easier to trim around things w/o the guard, and with the guard the line is really too short IMO. I don't run mine crazy long, but just enough to get the job done. I feel that I use LESS line over time because with a guard I was always bumping the head to feed more and it would already be out almost to the cutter, so that's about an inch of wasted line each time I'd do that. Adds up too. If I bump out too much w/o the guard on there's always some thing close by to wear it down a little.
  5. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Always take them off
  6. ProCutLawnCare&Landscape

ProCutLawnCare&Landscape LawnSite Member

Most of ours are guard off

Guard off benefits:
    Float the line better over turf, more finesse, better visibility, length of line controlled by operator, productivity, better end results in my opinion

Guard on benefits:
    safety of operator, less line out, engine life (less stress on engine when amount of line out is controlled by guard), cuts line for you, warranty

personal preference, but most pro's I know use no guard, and as do I
  7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Don't you really shorten the life of the clutch and engine if you take the guard off!!!
  8. xdevil_07x

xdevil_07x LawnSite Member

On! We buy after market guards that allow us to run the string long with a guard still in place.
  9. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

on i dont get grass on me.better balance but the guard string issue does annoy me.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Guards off for ditch work!