OK you ZTR Experts....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nfisher330, Aug 1, 2004.

1. nfisher330

nfisher330 LawnSite Member

OK, been reading, and posting....trying to learn how to turn my 757's without tearing...been trying everything. Very little success. Got some accounts that I am starting this week...and I am going to hurt my business if I tear their grass. My question is this:

Could some of you actually get short films of doing turns and post them please? I want to see how you pro's are doing them first hand....any takers?

Thanks in advance.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i will....for a cost though

trevor

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

trick is, s l o w d o w n.

slow before you need to turn and do a 3 point turn and be gentle on the levers, practice....it's the only way, no secrets.

Actually Trevor, though you were kidding, I think there should be this type of stuff on film/disc etc for buyers of ZTR's, really, there certainly wasn't that info with my new Toro, I had all sorts of dramas until a thread here came up about 3 point turns, be good to have this stuff available.

Correct opperation of all gear on film would be great.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure that both tires are turning (neither are completely neutral, which leads to pivoting) when you make turns. Its as simple as that.

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

P*e*c*k*e*r* hit the nail on the head.
    when one tire is stopped, and the other is turning, the tire spinns and tears the grass

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

practice, practice, practice....start out slowly....

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, if you're going to always do 3 point turns, save a few thousand and get belt drives. Learn to properly Z-Turn and you'll take full advantage of your mower's capabilities.

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

is a dirty word?????

I typed p-e-c-k-e-r!

got edited....for real...

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah dude, take it real easy, especially at first.. I will fly only if I've got enough room for take off and landing...LOL What I mean is at the end of each pass, slow way down, and THEN turn both wheels at once ( counterrotating ) If you really have a hard time, go to an area like apark and practice... It's funny, you can put two guys on a similar ( small ) property, one with experience on aslower machine and a inexperienced one on a fast machine.. and the ol' pro will school the new guy everytime, and not rape up the turf as well...

10. lawnguy5

lawnguy5 LawnSite Member
    from PA

OK read close at the end of your strip turn toward your next stripe and stop. Back up a little and then stop. Then proceed to your next stripe. With practice in time you will be able to do this so smoothly that it will look like you never stop. I run Grasshoppers ZT225 61" cut. best place to practice your own yard.