Okay boys I found a truck not a 4x4 thou

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The truck is a 2007 F-550 XL 2wd 6.0 Automatic the truck has a 19,000lb gvw. It has really low kilometers 17,000 or 10,500 miles. It was a rental I think so it wasn't used much. The 07s are supposed to have the best of the 6.0s. It will be my first ever automatic truck.

Okay here is the reason why I'am considering it. If I get a trade in value on my 03 F-450 as a cab and chassis for 14,000 I would be getting the F-550 for 16,500 before tax. Now that is one h*ll of a good deal its a deal that I can't pass up. Any 4x4 F-550 I have found in Alberta has over 100,000kms or 62,000 miles for 25-30,000 dollars.

My current truck is a 03 it is out of warranty the truck is 7 years old already do I want to take a chance with a 6.0. Yes mine has been good so far but who knows.

I don't have enough payload with the 450 the 550 should cure that. I really want to try get something working this year and try get more soil deliveries and my trucking work going again.

Yes I will have some traction issues but I think it maybe time to add a small machine to my services. A machine could pack the stuff to my truck instead of me hand loading the truck.

I really didn't push my services because my current truck has another problem. The d*mn thing powers out anytime I get a load on the truck and try get out of a spot. I hope the torqshift cures that the 6spd isn't the best match behind the 6.0 when it comes to getting out of tough spots.

When I was doing some hauling out of my neighbours the truck would power out getting up their driveway. The F-450 has 4:30 axle gears I think they are too tall.

I'am going to wait back and see what the salesman says and gives me a ball park price. Off to the bank I go to see the loans manager there shouldn't be a problem getting a loan for 20 grand.

The truck market is dead so there is some deals out there the sales person is willing to budge.

Have to see what happens :drinkup:

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I still think your making a mistake getting a 2wd truck.

But I like your ideas and goals. Get after it GR! :cool2:

3. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

This site is like your minds blogspot eh?

4. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Didnt you make a post not to long ago saying you need 4x4? I agree with Juinor, you are going to wish you had 4x4.

5. catnip

catnip LawnSite Member

Hold out for 4x4.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You did not find a truck, you found an 8K pound paperweight. Don't eveeeen think about buying this truck. If it is not a 4X4 don't even tempt yourself. I don't want to here again how you slipped off the road and into the abyss of a ditch on the steepest driveway this side of K2. Unfortunately those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them. Tah dah!:dizzy:

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty funny and 100% correct

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I agree..

Dont buy it just because its close to the right truck. If your goin to do something, do it right the first time so your not going through this again in a couple years.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You guys think the traction is going to be that bad I thought it would be better with it having a automatic because you can controll tire spin a little better.

They have a F-550 4x4 it is a 2006 but I would have to shorten the frame 3 feet. The wheelbase is 201 I need 165.

I'am having second thoughts because they looked at the pictures and only said 10 grand trade in. I'am not getting a good deal and it maybe less if they look at the truck and say no not worth it.

I still have the 03 F-550 4x4 it has a 7.3 in it but the d*mn 4R100 transmission is making me hedge on it. It is why that truck isn't selling I think it has transmission troubles. If it had a 6spd I would have bought it. This truck has 120,000kms and want 21,000 for it.

Here is the 03 F-550

90c3ae297f000001014a4fd2cff5d88e550.jpg

10. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain LawnSite Member

Like you said, there are deals out there. But if they already have deals on their lots, you are most certainly not going to get anywhere near retail on a trade allowance.

With all the extremes you've described that you have to deal with in your work, I'd agree with the others that a 2WD would be a regrettable decision.