oklahoma guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tarp5350, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

how are you guys making it here in oklahoma with this drought and all of the water rations that the cities are enforcing? i was going to buy a turf tiger back in the spring for my land around my farm, but it quit raining and i have only mowed four times so far this year. we are 15 inches below normal here south of the city and all of the grass has went dormant and my ponds have went dry. i don,t know how you guys are making a living doing lawn mowing now. the drought is killing me so i know what you are going through.

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Tulsa is not that far below normal for rainfall. I didn't know there was water rationing? If there is none of my customers know it. Yes it is tough right now, but could be worse. Later, Tony

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

I've been picking up a couple of new customers a month since June, just enough rain to keep things growing. I thing the heats to much for some of the boys. I'm at the point of turning down jobs, being partime i've got about all i can handle.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

We're 15" behind in rainfall this year. Some of my trees are either dying or stressed out with the leaves almost gone.

Most of my Bermuda is brown but I am watering a small amount of the yard (I have 1-1/4 acres). This is the worst I can remember since the 1950's.

We don't have water rationing here because we get our water from Lake Ft. Gibson and it is fed from the Grand River.

The hay farmers and cattle ranchers are really hurting. Some of the smaller ranchers are selling off their cattle.

Nosmo

5. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

almost all of our accounts have irrigation so not a problem with the drought (edmond isn't on water rationing) plus we are making a lot of extra money removing dead or stressed trees that customers don't want to look at.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I heard there was rationing out west of here. Thats rough. About a third of my yards are irrigated so theyre growing. There are alot Ive had to skip over last couple of weeks though. Got some rain in spots of town last night, though.

7. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Not from oklahoma but an hour north of tulsa and we are in as bad of shape as most all else are. I may have to get a job to just wing it for now. Every thing is dry and trees are starting to shed leaves here too. wow. oh well, some year we may get rain.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The leaves are falling here too. If I show up and the grass isnt growing, I'll go ahead and run my Z with a mulch kit over the yard and clean up the leaves....the customers appreciate it and it doesnt take any more time than mowing....at least thatll spare most of my income for now.