Oklahoma/Texas hourly rate

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nriddle77, May 1, 2007.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to hear what others are charging per hour. For work other than mowing, do you have a flat hourly rate, and if so what is it? I am hoping to hear from guys here in OK or surrounding areas.
    Thanks

2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

$32 for current customers. $35+ for one timers.

3. nriddle77

Thanks Z Clark. Anyone else? The reason I'm asking is that a friend told me today that he would loose customers if he tried to charge them $35/hr.
    Just wondering what others thought.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

When I was working solo, I figured that I was worth about $60 an hour when I was mowing. By that standard, I would charge that same amount when doing other work. But I only told my customers the rate when asked directly. They had trouble understanding why the lawn boy made twice as much as they did.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do not explain to customers what I consider to be an internal cost figure.
    When asked what my hourly rate, I politely refuse to discuss this with them.
    Instead I will estimate the time necessary and will use a figure not below $40.00/hr for general landscaping work.
    Tree trimming starts at $45.00/hour until a ladder is involved, then it is a minimum of $55.00/hr due to Workers Comp rates.
    Irrigation work is estimated for installs at a minimum of $50.00/labor hour, repairs are $65.00/labor hour - for seniors I have a flat labor rate discount of 10%/hour plus a 20% discount on retail costs of parts.
    Never, EVER, discuss your labor rates with customers - simply estimate the work and quote accordingly.
    Say your are asked for extra time at a residence to, I don't know - lets say hang outdoor christmas lights. You figure it will take 3 hours, your base labor rate according to your cost overhead profile requires $40.00/hr minimum. So you estimate $120.00 + your 30% profit margin and come up with a final estimate of approximately $165.00.
    Your negotiation amount is contained with-in the 30% mark up so your base operation cost is met.
    This business ideology can be applied to all the services you provide.

6. nriddle77

Alan, thanks for your reply. I respect your opinion and am glad to hear from you.

TX Lawn Guy- very well said. Discussing specific numbers with customers can cause problems. Thanks for your input as well.

7. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

I work things out so I make about $30 an hour.

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I also determined that my employees were not quite as efficient as I was so the rate for them was $40 per hour.

9. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

I charge for what I do . 30.00 hr for regular cleanup. 35.00 for new customers.
    Nasty is proportional to how nasty jobs are "charge A lot" all work plus equipment cost. Don't care if I do the nasty ones. If I don't like the job you can't make me do it. Thats in Ia. though.

Mike