1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Olathe, O.P. or Lee Summitt?

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by racer56, May 6, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

We are thinking of moving to a suburb on the south side of Kansas City. What area is better to start over doing lawncare? Some of the things that need consideration are housing costs, demand for work, place for wife to work(mainly factory work), and so on.

Looked at buying a company in Lawrence, KS this week but just couldn't get together. Looks to be a lot of money difference in Lawrence as compared to these areas anyway. We are operating a small lawn service in S.W. Missouri currently and it is just not working out here. My main competition is retired guys with a H.D. mower, someone who is on disability, or part time guys charging 15.00 per lawn. I think the main problem here is not many even know what a nice lawn looks like. They think is the green stuff(grass:rolleyes: ) is under a foot tall and you can still see some of the house behind the shrubs that haven't been trimmed in 2 years they are looking good,lol.

We end up working for way less than we should and fight hard to even get paid at that. Anway looking for some help from folks already in the K.C. area.
  2. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

I would recomend the South ks area, I work alon in overland park, leawod, and around there. Lots of money around here and there is always someone looking for someone to do something. if i had to start over thats where i would do it.
  3. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

Lee's Summit has lots of new subdivisons going in. There are some assembly and warehouse positions open in the area. Good schools if that is important to you.
  4. racer56

from Kansas

Well it looks like Lee's Summit and Olathe have a dump close by so that is good. It also looks like you can get more house for the same money in Lee's Summit. Around here it is 30.00 for 8000 sq' or so to mow trim and blow. I assume it is a little higher around K.C.? Olathe had 2 lawn care listings in the paper but Lee's Summit had 10 plus so eveyone in Olathe must have enough work looks like. Does that mean that the Lco's in Lee's Summit or at least several are fighting for work? Here we have too many guys on disability or retired or just looking to get some berr money doing lawn work and that keeps the price down on everything. I think most of my customers (or most in general here) would tell me to light the grass on fire if it would save a buck:rolleyes: .

Thought one of the big things about doing business in Missouri is the contractor paying the tax on al supplies but not having to charge tax. Makes it easier on paperwork.
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Id recommend the MO side...:)
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd recommend the Kansas Side. You won't like LS, Belton, or Raymore. hahaha
  7. racer56

from Kansas

ok, ok. I guess this one hits too close to home? I will only help bring the price up in whatever area we work in. I guess I thought we could at least talk in general terms. I didn't want to have to pick some house for sale call 30 lco's and have them bid it and waste everyones time as that is how it is done here. Just thought I would try and be up front and maybe get some friendly advice. Close this thread.