Old 21'' mower ready for another 20 years of service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan_DeSantis, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Dan_DeSantis

Dan_DeSantis LawnSite Member

Just got my favorite push mower back with a new engine, it already put in a good 20 years of commercial duty. thought I would share some pics.

moto_0097.jpg

moto_0098.jpg

moto_0100.jpg

2. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

20 yrs., an old lawnboy? could see why you like it, looks like good mower. treat it to some new wheels?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. Dan_DeSantis

Those wheels are way too small going to put a set of 8inch wheels on as soon as we get a day of rain.

4. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

That's Cool! I wished I'd bought a couple of them way back when. I remember the first serious commercial duty I saw was at the Vicksburg National Military Park with them tied to ropes mowing long steep slopes. I ran across a couple of them at garage sales for less than $200. Oh well, nice motor swap on a nice mower!

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

They don't make 21" mowers like they used to.

6. Dan_DeSantis

i gave this machine to my helper today he doesn't even want to touch the proline anymore!

7. lawnboyman

lawnboyman LawnSite Member

Nice! I guess the old 2 cycle engine wore out? Ive got somewhat of the same model, need a deck though. The engine is being rebuild. I have a bunch of other stagger wheel models though.

What model number is that?

8. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I know the feeling. I have a self propelled Ariens that is almost 16 years old. I also have a brand new replacement just like it that I bought at a auction for 100.00. I also have a self propelled gravely that is a year old. I have 2 new replacemnt motors for the old Ariens. It still starts on the first or second pull. Runs and cuts as good as new. I just can't retire it for some reason. It is the only small mower I use. It's like me old but still going.

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the gas tank is bleeding. :eek:

10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Brings back memories from the middle 80's pushing the old lawnboy 2 cycle 8400's for 8-10 hours a day, I hated them mowers, but you could not kill em. I liked my old snappers better.