Old Ash tree help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by haulinggrass, May 3, 2006.

1. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I bought some land that has an old Ash tree that needs some love.
    It has three main trunks coming out of this big round base. The tree has some dead and fallen limbs; the part that is still on the tree has bugs. I thought I would cut it off at the trunk and brush on the (tree paint)? What do I do the help it fight insects? Thanks
  2. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

emerald ash borer--------- http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

If it is already killing the tree it's too late but there are ways to prevent it.

A quote from an Arborist that I ask about this on a tree site I belong too.

"Basically the product you should use is Imidicloprid (Merit). The delivery system can vary, here's 2 that work well for us:
    1) Mauget caps (J.J. Mauget) They come in 2 and 3 ml, use 3ml on trees over 16"DBH space every 4 to 5 inches at root flare. Timing in Michigan has been late May early June for best uptake (we are zone 5)
    2) Arborjet- it is a high volume system that probably should only be bought if your doing multiple trees (cost $450 for the system and about the same for a quart of product). It works GREAT for the big trees putting in about 6 to 8 mls per inch of DBH. You need the volume to kill the bastard. He is one tough insect.
    I would also HIGHLY recommend the following:
    If the tree is very high value use trunk, limb and foliage spray w/ Bifenthrin (Onyx). In Michigan the timing is early June and early July. This is done to coincide w/the adult females feeding on the leaves for a week b4 egg deposition and then emergence. Also the use of soil applied Merit can be beneficial from the standpoint of 'building up' the parts per million of imdicloprid in the tree, This product has a VERY long residual 2 to 3 months under good conditions. The best results are gained from using a combination of these methods."
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have it looked at by a pro. Ash trees up my way have been getting hit hard with Anthracnose, which can be treated sometimes. I'd go with the Mauget. I've seen miracles with that stuff. A good deep root feed after the bugs are gone would certainly help too.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think the EAB has migrated that far south ..............yet. But you are correct about the treatment for EAB.