1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old Bid New Year

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrussell555, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jrussell555

jrussell555 LawnSite Member

Question: I did a bid last year and I am curious to get input.

Company out of Cedar City, Ut. Wants me to install 4 culverts on cabin property. Plus Grade out or (cut down weeds) estimated 2000 feet x 15 feet existing roads.

Cost to me is,
    Travel from SLC with equiptment: $500.00 includes gas to and from:
    3 weeks food & beer: $500.00 (no motel, I'll be camping)
    1 week travel, (load & unload fill dirt) Aprox 70 Cubic Yards fill dirt
    70 Cubic yards costing aprox. $20.00 Per load (5 C.Y. per load)
    plus travel total cost for 70 Cubic Yards ($600.00) Gas included)
    plus $989.00 in culver pipe.
    Total (almost exact price) is : $2589.00

Bid send in and approved for $8178.00.

Total work estimated around 3 weeks or 15 to 18 days.

Tell me your thoughts.
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is the bid? Did the cost of materials go up? If not I would stick with it if you are satisfied.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

unless your materials have gone up stick with it.

did yoou not put a limitation on the pricing.

we always include a 90 day price guarantee. after that price is subject to change.
  4. jrussell555

Prices have not gone up except for fuel, but you can never be exact with the fuel costs. Other than that, everything else stays the same.

Also the company told me that once the culverts are installed and one specific road is graded. I should only work the amount of hours that I have quoted them.
    They have so much work that they could keep me busy for 3 months, but their budget is limited. So they want it done in stages. Should end up with more work from them in the future. It also helps that my father is on the board of directors for the property.

So since it is family, they don't want me to underbid the project and stop when I have completed my bidded hours.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wounder if there is some kind of conflict of interest with your father on the board. That could get messy if the board auditors find out and it is a conflict of interest. You might ask your father about it before you and your father get in trouble later on with an audit.

I hope you know how to install culverts.
  6. jrussell555

I can see your concern, but since our family owns 90 lots out of the 140, I don't think that anyone will be able to out vote us on the boards descision. And as far a culverts, I know how to install them, the only problem that I can see as a big issue. There is a 600,000 gallon water tank that feeds 8" pipe throughout the subdivision. It was installed in 1978, the records from that install were not done very well.

So, the thing I am woried about is that I am installing the culverts across 4 sections of road,(where the pipe runs). Don't want 600,000 gallons to be spilled on the road because I bust a pipe. It will cost me $200.00 in electric charges to fill the tank to the last level.

Most would just say, use a metal dector to find the pipe. And yes that would be a good idea, but a good portion of the dirt existing on the property is made of iron. Hence the name of the county (Iron County). My metal dector just beeps where ever I put it on the ground. No such luck in finding the pipes easily.

But, the guy that was taking care of the property is retiring and I have budgeted a small fee to pay him to come out and show me a few pointers that he has learned about the property in the last 15 years.