old blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crabber, Mar 27, 2000.

1. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

My grandfather always told me to use the blades (unsharpened) from last fall for the first cut. That way when you hit a hidden treasure (stick or stone) you don't screw up new blades. Then once you have cut your yards and uncovered all those hidden projectiles you can sharpen or replace. Just an idea!<p>I'm going to by a new weed whacker(trimmer). Does anyone have suggestions?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with your grandfather to an extent. I don't put on my best blades until I have mowed each lawn at least once, but I do sharpen them. I have some new blades that will be used after the first week or 2.<p>I like Shindaiwa trimmers, I hear Red Max trimmers are also good. There are several threads that have discused trimmers in the past. The default is for this to search for the past 10 days, set it for all to see all the posts since the begining of this forum at this site. You will find a lot of good info here.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

If you want light weight go the Shindaiwa,<br>if you want power,go the Stihl.

4. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

THE OLD BLADE THING IS GOOD BUT KEEP THEM SHARP!THE LAWN WILL BENEFIT AND SO WILL YOU!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING