1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ChadsLawn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys do with your old mower/edger blades? I havent been mowing too long tis time. So I still have 3 sets of good blades.. I like to experiment with different blades.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

can you move this to the commercial lawn mowing please....
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I had a picture. I have stacks and stacks of old blades. I have a shelf area in the shop that is probably 2 ft. wide by about 1 foot high of blades stacked up. I've always meant to scrap them, but never have. I always keep a few old ones on hand for "brushhogging" type stuff. As far as all the different configurations to try, I've tried about all of them.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

well the edger blades when I'm done with are pretty muche used up, ther emight and inch or two left, and th emower blades once we wear them down from sharpening, jsut put em in the garbage.

We had to move out shop this year, and I had to borrow a 5 yard dumpster to hual away all off the crap my mechanic had held on to "just in case" he'd use it again. :dizzy: old blades, old cracked blpocks, 21" mower handles, you name it he had. I proably could have made some $$$ on ebay sellinthe junk, but it was just too overwhellming to inventory...

I could see keeping three sets of blades for each machine, this gives you one set on the mower, and two sharps in the closet. so if for some reason you had to skip sharpening, you still have a set of sharps to put on...

If you use the edger daily (like we had to in Florida) slap a new edger blade on each week. heck if you buy em by the case they cost a buck or less each....toss em...

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Edger blades get tossed in the trash no life in em,mowing blades we keep some old one's like the man said for rough cutting places.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Old mowing blades that are no longer fit for regular duty are kept in case of a brush hogging job like has already been said, these are the best blades to use in the sticks and rocky areas that come around once or twice a year. DO put an edge on them, nobody deserves dull blades, they still cut good but they're no longer safe for use on regular turf (due to fly-apart risk, a risk that is still present in the rocks and the sticks so you use your better judgement).

As for edger blades, I keep a few because I found a good use for one here or there: When I need a flat surface to pound with a hammer (such as when driving a spindle bearing into the hub), the old edger blade sitting on top of what I am about to hit acts as a buffer so the hammer doesn't strike the surface direct, while it still transfers the shock nicely. It might can also serve as a wedge or if you need a piece of something to drive in someplace, I dunno, small flat pieces of steel tend to come in handy for me.