old boss lowballing my accts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob the king, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bob the king

bob the king LawnSite Member

several years ago I worked for a large maint co. I left to start on my own. I was basically in charge of the maintenance crews. I did not make 1 phone call on there accts and even refused to do business with their customers who searched me out and asked me to take their accounts. I did this out of respect for my former boss and my own ethics. Here's the kicker: I now have a growing successful business and my previous employer is low balling my accounts!! havn't lost one yet because many of my accounts are not awarded based solely on price but I have missed out on new work. What to do?

2. anthonyslandscaping

anthonyslandscaping LawnSite Member

Keep doing what you are doing. If he wants to low ball let him. They will see what poor quality looks like.

If the customer is looking for the lowest price then you will never win him/her over with service and quality craftsmanship. Cut the grass this week, and next week find out he wants a patio, he will be going with the lowest bid again. You end up wasting a lot of time and money.
    Stay with the customers you have developed relationships with over the years. They will tell their neighbors and friends about you and when they see waht they don't get by saving buck or two you will get the call.

When everyone starts low-balling, nobody wins.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So he has lowered the prices below what they were when you worked for him?

4. bob the king

yes his prices are lower, I didnt tell the whole story. He since sold out to a national co. and now his noncompete is up he has partnered up with anther LCO. Anthony your right I need to just ignore him, he is just 1 of many lowballers out there. It just erks me. I tried to do to right thing and this is how it comes around. I think he is targeting my customers.

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

keep your head up & keep on doing what you do

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

He has the right to advertise to the general public any price he wants. I think you're complaining for nothing. But you might be wise to be worried about aggressive competition because it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

7. bob the king

he may "know what he is doing" these are not resi accts. I feel he is sacrificing profit in order to try and damage my business. he has said "I'm gonna take all your business" well I'm not to worried it just dont seem right. I guess everyone meets their maker sooner or later

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Well that's a different story, now I'm on your side.:laugh:

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I know it's low but, maybe look into HIS accounts and try to get as many as possible. He'll get the drift to leave you alone when he lost 1/2 his business.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's a good idea, Especially since all his customers already know what kind of work you do.....