Old car jack.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Aug 29, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a usefull little item. I found an old discarded low profile car jack, I lubed i, acleaned it up and got it working.

I sandwiched it between the tires on the trailer to lock them - like a parking brake.:cool:

I'm also gonna use it to lift that 200lb SFS deck when making height adjustments.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

2. jbell

jbell LawnSite Member

Interesting. I have a new Lazer Z 23-52 and will need to change blades, clean deck, etc., periodically.

Do you use a jack to raise up the deck for maintenance?

3. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

If you look at the Exmark site "drive up lifts such as Toro" you'll see that most commercial cutters drive their machines up on the trailer ramps to do maintenance. If no trailer, you can use a jack to raise the mower - probably should jack on the frame and definitely use jack stand or good blocks for safety - don't trust the jack to keep that machine off your head! You may want to consult dealer or Exmark for proper jacking points.

4. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Heres another idea for a jack.
    My trailer has a tonque jack that pivots on a pipe nipple that is welded to the trailer frame. I purchased two more of these nipples at my local trailer supply house and have welded them on each side of my trailer. Now when I have a flat tire, I can bring that jack around and attach and lift the trailer to change the flat.
    So now that's one less item I have to carry all day.:D

David

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had thought of a trailer jack, it would probably work pretty good.

I was just going to use it to change deck height maybe. Now, the decks soo heavy, I have to pick it up by the handle, let the antiscalp roller rest on my steel toe boot, and then wrestle out the cotter pin.

I may keep using the jack I made, it's like a small version of the jungle jim lift jack - it works good on level ground. iIt picks up the deck about 4 inches.

When I do the deck maintenance, I use an old, old crank handle jack (made for car bumpers). It will pick up the front as high as it will go before the rear hits the floor. This is pretty secure, as far as pulling against the mower to loosen the blade bolts.

I used to use car ramps, but they were always in the way, and I was afraid the mower might roll off.

My trailer has a "gate assist" so I could only pull it up on one side of the gate, and I can't reach the far left blade like this.

I'll probably weld two banana shaped pieces of metal to my new found jack, and just use it to secure te trailer. I've seen chock jacks for sale before for use on trailers.

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I don't have a Z, but seems they would be both quick, easy, and safe.