Old Cushman Truckster

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Arnold, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

My Cushman eats points, condensers, and plugs like there going out of style. One minute it runs fine next its spitting and sputtering like a dieing mule. Run it in the shop change those parts and she will run fine for 30-50 hours. Have anyone had the same hungry Cushman.
    Thank for any info.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

tell me if there is any metal transfer on the points?

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Is it wired direct twelve volts to the coil? Is the coil being used have an internal resistor or does it need an external resistor.

4. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

The points really never seem to bad and I do believe that the coils that are on it are replacement ones with internal resisters, but the cushman has a external resister could this be the problem, improper coils (it does have 2)
    Thanks

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

we have 3 of them that do the same thing. we have changed points, condensers, coils, plugs. We have done everything we can think of and no fix yet. Ours are 30 plus years old but still run awsome so spending a few bucks on plugs does not botehr us, Good luck and let me know if you find a fix.

6. khouse

could you give me the model and serial #'s off of your engine please? I may have a fix.

7. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I will try to post the #s on the engine tomorrow. Were are they located at if I cant find them? Thanks, Guys for all the help.

8. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the bad part about the old sushmans i the spark plugs are at the bottem of the engine. This allows all the crap to build up on them and foul them out. Bad design but great vehichle

9. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Well, I finally got some time to get the #'s posted the Engine # 117137 and Model #898530-8310 Sorry for not posting but I've been Hunting. Thanks Again!

10. khouse

There is an electronic ignition kit for your engine.
    Onan # 160-1376
    You may have to modify the kit by removing the alen head adjustment screw and adjust the timing by sliding the unit itself.
    Check the new unit against your old points before you buy the new unit.
    Your Onan parts person should be able to help.