old exmark 3 whl rider won't go up hills

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by tgrebis, Jun 8, 2001.

1. tgrebis

tgrebis LawnSite Member

My exmark 3 wheel rider had problems going up hills. It progressive gets worse after about 45 minutes of ride time. I changed the hydro belt and it climbed hills fine for about 2 hours and now its doing the same thing again. Its not bucking and so I am pretty sure its the tension and/or the belt. IS this correct. Is there an after market spring that would be better. I keep the intake screen clear and this helps just a tad. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Grebis

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Mr. Grebis,

Thanks for writing in with your question.
    About how old is the Turf Ranger that you have? It may just be the filter or fluid. We used to use Mobil DTE-26, which is a high temp hydraulic fluid. We now use Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic, in the hydro-systems. A lot of times on older units, we will suggest that customers switch over to the Mobil 1 15W-50 at the next filter change. Usually the response that we hear afterward is that there Ranger hasn't drove that well in years.
    It could also just be out of adjustment. If you still have the operators manuals, look at the sections Parking Brake Neutral Lockout Adjustment and Motion Control Linkage Adjustment. Like you mentioned, it may be the tension of the transmission belt. It can be a little tricky, but when you grease the tension idler for the transmission, occasionally have the spring off of the idler arm. This will ensure that grease is allowed all the way around the bushing.
    I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us at service@exmark.com

Thanks,
    Lenny