Old Exmark Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by NBLL, Sep 19, 2002.

1. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

Wondering what info available on my mowers. They are 48" and I guess were made before model names like metro or viking were given. Both have 13hp kawasaki engines, one has OH valves. The shifters on both are up next to the right handlebar and not a kick lever directly from the gear box. I don't even know what year they are. These are my primary mowers right now. Any info or history would be appreciated.:D

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

NBLL,

Thanks for the question. Those go back a while but we can get reasonably close.

If your shifter shifts forward and backward with no reverse then you've got an old Variable Speed model. What you probably have however has a shifter that swings from right to left and has a positive reverse gear. That would make it a Standard Five speed.

The variable speed could have been built between 1982 and 1991 and the Standard five speed could have been built between 1988 and 1992. Both were great machines. One other item that could help narrow the production year is if you can determine if an OPC system exists or ever existed on your machine.

Thanks

Terry

3. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

Terry,
    One has OPC and the other doesn't. both are 5sp w/reverse. The one with OPC has an OH valve engine. I also have serial numbers if that would help. Are there any upgrades or improvements that I can make to improve performance or speed. Also do you know of any problems that I should look out for.

4. eXmark

NBLL,

With the s/n's I can tell when they were built and pull the correct manuals. That can help me determine if there are any upgrades as well. I don't know of any upgrades but once I get the s/n's I can probably better determine what, if anything we can improve. You can either post the s/n's here on lawnsite or drop me an e-mail at terry.eckert@exmark.com

Thanks

Terry

5. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

Terry,
    Here are the numbers.

Mower 1
    Model: 48-12.5 K5
    Serial: 22740

Mower 2
    Model: 48-14 K5
    Serial: 33300-029

Mower 2 has full OPC and an OH valve engine, mower 1 has switches and wiring on tranny and blade lever, but no dead man handles.

Thanks
    David

6. eXmark

David,

Both are from our Standard Five-speed line however I can't nail down an exact build date.

The valve in block model actually has a 12.5 Kaw and the OHV model is a 14 Kaw. Both are excellent engines. As far as upgrades to these two machines I'm not aware of any. The decks, drive systems, safety systems etc. don't share much in common with newer designs.

Thanks

Terry

7. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to replace all of the belts on these mowers. Can you get me part #s for the 2 deck belts, main drive belt and the 2 wheel belts with the serial #s I gave?

8. eXmark

NBLL,

Send me your name and mailing information and I'll make sure you get a set of manuals for your machines. You can e-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com.

Deck belt main - p/n 1-403024
    Deck belt RH - p/n 1=403025
    Drive belts - p/n 1-323051
    Transmission belt 1-403018

These belts should take care of your needs for both machines. I would also recommend that you examine the transmission chain and sprockets as well. These will wear over time and it may not hurt to replace them before you begin to see an issue.

Thanks

Terry