Old fert disposal

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GraZZmaZter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I have some old bags of pre-emergence that was in the back of a truck for awhile and now have been out in the elements exposed since winter. Regardless, i need to disposed of them (4 or 5 bags) and want to know the best route to take that is legal and best for the enviroment.

Thanxz

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Spread them out over the ground on some non-maintained turf at no more than the label rate.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Texas

That might be easier said than done. Good chance the bags are solid by now being in the weather. They maybe too hard to break into small enough pieces to be spread.

Grazz

You might want to check with your county extension service for an amnesty day program for hazardous disposal.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Man.... I don't know... they just held our local toxic cleanup where you take all your old chemicals and stuff in. They will be doing another before summers out, though. One option would be to call the cooperative extension service and see what they say.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just throw it in the nearest storm drain or river!:rolleyes:

Seriously...can you pulverize it to the point it can be spread if it has clumped? Maybe you could put the bags inside a couple of old pillow cases and break up the larger pieces with a hammer.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We always had wet or solid rock bags at ChemLawn back in the late 70's (Dallas). We would spread 'em all out on the concrete parking lot, drive over them, then sweep it up and screen it. We could pretty much spread all of it with spreaders with screens in them.

Nowadays, the stuff is too costly to dispose of.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

That stuff is valuable. Surely if you do not want it, you can find some (cheapskate) company this year or next spring, that will buy it from you.

Larry's idea is good. I have some very hard urea fertilizer to use up also--it will go in the tank to dissovle--eventually--I hope. Sometimes it helps to lay the bags on the ground and walk on them.

You might rent a cement mixer and let 'em go around five minutes each. Screen through expanded metal, laundry basket or hardware cloth. Reprocess the lumps.
    The lumpy stuff makes good fertilizer for trees and shrubs, and the pre emergent will reduce weeds in the bark.

When spreading. Cover the left and right holes with duct tape. Just use the one big hole in the middle. lumps and bumps pass easily.

8. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Legal disposal will cost you at least $400. Its worth your time to break it up and spread it somewhere.

9. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought, just about every state has chem sweep now, this is where the dept. of Ag comes around once a year to youre location to pick old or unusable chemicals up if you sign up, if you don't sign up in Pa yoiu can actually bring the product to the drop off point in Harrisburg Pa, the best part NO CHARGE.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Not sure about what the label states (since there is a herb), but I usually take my floor sweepings or fert that gets wet etc and put on my compost pile and turn it in.

This will speed up your composting by increase the C:N ratio and also gets rid of the fert.