old fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by stslawncare, Mar 5, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys a customer has offered me a big bag of scotts fertilizer. i offered to spread it for her but she doesnt like chemicals on her yard. only problem is that its old, she says very old. is it still good?

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a bulk blend & it has stayed dry it should be OK. It may have some clumps but you can break them up. One quarter inch hardware cloth can be used to screen it if needed.
    If it's an ammoniated/homogeneous material it could be way off spec now. It shouldn't hurt anything, but it may not still meet the original analysis.
    If it contained a pesticide, there is a chance it won't still be effective.
    Either way, the resonsible thing to do is to screen & spread it somewhere.
    Steve

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Steve is right. Only responsible way to dispose of the product is through actual use even if you have to mix in a "carrier" of some kind to get it to spread. Results are not likely to be consistent so I wouldn't put it on a high-profile property.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

so in conclusion the product may be very clumpy however it shouldnt harm the lawn any correct? only place its going is on my own yard but still dont want to kill it

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scottie

If the bag is still good you can drop it a few times and break up the clumps. Also you can put the big clumps in a strong trash bag and beat it with a rubber hammer. Good Luck