Old Gravely Engine Replace

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SuperLawn, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

:waving: Hi Guys.-
    I have a couple questions

I have a Gravely Mower 36” W/B about 8 or 10 years old (is the kind of heavy mower I call it a TANK it was my first mower and I like it) I got it used, about 2 years ago
    The problem is it doesn’t have power it die when the grass is a little tall.... I believe the Kawasaki engine is 12.5.hp
    How can I know if the engine still be good?
    If the ENGINE is not good any more It will be a good deal to replace it with a new 14 or 15 hp Kawasaki?.
    Will be big difference between 12.5 hp to 14 or 15 hp?
    How hard is to replace my self the engine?
    Any good adviser will be appreciate.-

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. To all Lawnsite people :blob3: :blob3:

Thank you
    Tony

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

tony
    if the mower is 8 to 10 years old as you stated then the motor could just be worn out and in need of replacement . a 15 HP kaw on that mower would be more then enough power and if you are good with a wrench then by all means do it yourself . I just got rid of a old jacobson that had the 12.5 motor as yours and it did the same thing because is was worn out . the whole mower was worn out and not worth the cash to replace the motor.

tony
    not making fun of you but is english a second language for you

3. SuperLawn

tony
    not making fun of you but is english a second language for you

HarryD
    Who can you tell..!

Yes; I'm fron Venezuela South America

4. HarryD

tony
    well if your mower is worn out it mite be better to just replace it and upgrade to a newer mower . a new motor is going to cost you over $700.00 so it mite be better to go newer then fix up something that could possibly nickle and dime you to death

how did you end up in Salt Lake

5. SuperLawn

I was living in Portland Oregon but get divorced and the city began to become small for my and my EX so I have a couple of friends at Salt Lake and I start my life again up here :blob3: I tell you is OK city

BTW Do you Speak spanish?

Tony

6. HarryD

tony
    no I dont speak spanish but wish I did

7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

you might try to adjust the governor and carburator before buying a new engine. if you decide to go to a new engine i wouldn't get a kaw because they are usually more costly and the unit probably has a bunch of hours already on it if it needs an engine. instead i would try getting a 12.5 hp kohler from a place like smallenginewarehouse.com i did this to one of my exmarks and i think it has more power than my 12.5 kawi. the guys at smallenginewarehouse told me that the 12.5 kohler and the 15 kohler were the same with different stickers. i had two briggs engines the same way. the engine costed me about $400 and still runs great today. i'd stay away from larger briggs engines if you are going to use it everyday just my 2 cents

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

9. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Take it to a local mechanic that you trust and have get a tune up. It'll cost a few buck but it might solve your problem of power. Sounds like it could be a clogged exhaust port or the valves are going. Shop around for a new engine if that is the way you want to go.