Old hedges, really old!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LB Landscaping, Jun 17, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

How are you guys taking OLD hedges out (I mean really old and really rooted)??? I was doing some around my house today, they are probably 45-50 years old. The roots on these things are HUGE and are pretty deep. I tryed using a JD 4200 today but they did not budge. I got a few out by cutting them off at the bottom, digging around the roots and cutting again 6 inches below the soil. It was a PITA. Got any easy methods besides TNT????

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

back a diesel truck up to it, wrap a chain around the base, pop it into 4 low and they should come right out.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

...and if that doesn't work, get a backhoe.

Mike

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Our Dresser TD15E usually does the trick with some large shrubs we had around the house. Usually we use a backhoe for customers yards with shrubs that large.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't rip with the truck anymore. Vehicles do get damaged. Even some bigger ones.

We chainsaw, or on Tam Juniper, we hedge shear above the "crown" to open it for the chainsaw.

Then I just use a stump grinder. It works 90% of the time. For the other 10%, I know a few guys that will take any work that kills them.

6. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

diesel truck idea as stated above will work great as long as you can keep traction!!

7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Try a gas truck. Much better traction.

8. arkydog

arkydog LawnSite Member

try using a snatch strap preferably 25000 lbs or greater and leave some slack in the strap, about 5-6 feet. lay a heavy blanket on the strap and chain just in case it comes loose some way. the heavy blanket will absorb the energy from the slipped off strap and chain and keep any damage from happening. also the snatch rope will not give you the hard jerk like a chain and instead of 6000 lbs of truck pulling, you will have 3-5 times that rolling weight and it should walk right out.

good luck

9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

The yanking with a truck idea is a very dangerous and risky idea. I have seen chains snap, hitch balls pull off and rear ends torn out of trucks by this abuse. If someone in nearby the breaking chain or flying hitchball they can be in big trouble. Rent a small backhoe or mini-X and do it safely.

10. vardener

vardener LawnSite Member
    from MD 7

I kinda like the TNT idea.