old honda generator Advice?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bdemir, Nov 8, 2002.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I have a chance to buy a used honda generator from a second hand used tool store for 450.
    My concern is will i have a tough time getting parts for an old honda motor and is it likely that the generator itself will have problems due to its age. It looks relatively good. Desnt run to steady at idle but when the speed is cranked up it goes pretty good. What should i look out for.

Bedros

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you didn't say what the watt rating was. then compare it to a new one. you can get plenty of parts for an old honda.

3. bdemir

It is a 3500 watt raiting with 110 and 230lines and it started on first pull after they had it started once before.
    I think it is at least 13 years old.

Bedros

4. khouse

Is it a honda generator or a generator with a honda engine on it? describe it more please. like does it have wheels? how many? does it have handles? ect

5. bdemir

Its a honda with a honda motor and generator and its got huge wheels with handles attatched to it. looks like its on a dolly that has a place for a car battery for the electric start. Thats one good assumption that it is old and it has braided wires (white) for either electrical or gas i dont know. It has a belt going from the motor to the generator covered by a belt guard and the tank is on top its red and white and has a round air filter housing made out of metal (red) and a huge muffler that is placed vertically. this thinkg looks pretty vintage but it runs and seems to be in deicent working order. If i was to guess i would say it runs great but i like to make sure before i dish out 450. they even said they will give me a 7 day return and i can bring it back within 3 weeks if it totally craps out or something of that nature.

Thanks for the help.

Bedros

6. khouse

I'm not sure how old it is but I've never seen a Honda belt drive generator. Must be at least 25 years old. The new Honda 3500 units are 1000K$ they are direct drive. If your going to run it now and then you might buy it. I think it's only worth 100$ for someone to take a chance on how long it's going to work and you'll be spending 50$ on a battery right off the bat. Now if you going to use it everyday then buy a new generator. they run an average of 500$ for a 4000 to 5000 watt unit at Lowes or Home depot. I know it's a Honda but they too have limits.