Old Hustler question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green' Go, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Green' Go

Green' Go LawnSite Member

Is this worth owning for a small time guy? Price is really great. (dirt cheap) It's only showing 543 hours. Sure it is old and silly looking but is it practical for large lot mowing? It looks like a killer on someones back after a while of riding it.
    It is a hustler 1500 48inch cut
    Engine is a Kohler CV225 624cc gas

texasonlineauctions5a.jpg

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with that setup, I have one that i use for smaller areas, and when I need to bag when cutting. I'm not sure of that deck, is it the backpack catcher deck? If it is, it'll have a recutter blade above the center blade, that redirects the clippings out the back of the deck, into the bagger which mounts on the back. As to being uncomfortable, well that depends on your physique. I am 6'0", and 260 lbs that I'll admit to, and it has never given me any comfort issues. The main dislike I have for it is it has 3 safety switches in parallel, one on the seat, and one under each foot. One of the 3 has to be under pressure at all times for it to run, when the blades are on. You can sit on it or stand on it, but it seems to always be cutting out on me when I make the transition.:laugh:

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They never seemed to get very popular but one heck of a design though. How much are they asking? What size do you mean by "large lot mowing"?

4. Green' Go

I have not seen it in person yet. I have to go look at it in a few days. It is at an online auction site but I dont think there will be very many bids.
    What would be a fair price for this unit if it truly only needed a battery, probably blades, and other routine maintenance items to be put to service?
    As far as large lots, I dont mean acreage. Just 1/2 to 1 acres.

Here is a rearview of the mower.

hustler.jpg

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am not sure how well Hustler is supporting those for parts. You might want to post a question about parts availability on the Hustler section of this forum.

6. DiyDave

Back when I bought mine, I know the price was over $5K, but that's for the back pack bagger and deck. I know that a regular (right discharge ) deck could be had for less, but as to value of that unit, I am as clueless as you. Check to see if everything functions, and if the motor has any starting problems, of leaks, go LOW!:waving:

7. DiyDave

Back when I bought mine, I know the price was over $5K, but that's for the back pack bagger and deck. I know that a regular (right discharge ) deck could be had for less, but as to value of that unit, I am as clueless as you. Check to see if everything functions, and if the motor has any starting problems, or leaks, go LOW!:waving:

8. DiyDave

Sorry about the double post, its been a long day!

9. Green' Go

Good idea Mowingman. Iam gonna bid REALLY low. If I dont get a crazy good price then it is pointless to buy and old machine needing work. I would rather just holdout for another unit.

10. DiyDave

I was able to get belts and blades, last spring, no problem, if that helps.:waving: