1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old Kohler Engine Timing Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Saxman, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

I have an old Kohler K341S 16HP engine that seems to be out of time. I have rebuilt the carb, fuel pump, replaced the head gasket and the pulled the flywheel to replace the key on the crankshaft. It still acts like it is out of time. This is set by the point gap, correct? Tell me what I am overlooking!! Please
  2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

so you have dug up an old kohler? those are the engines i cut my
    mechanics teeth on.sounds like it could be the points but there are many other factors. one could be valve lash or clearance.
    is it poping out the intake or exaust valves.explaine why you think
    it is the timing then i may be able to help you
  3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You can download the shop service manual for FREE at Kohler's web site. Kohler is the only engine manufacturer that I know of that gives away free shop service manuals. These manuals are COMPLETE engine tare down and rebuild manuals.
  4. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

Sawman, I think it is out of time because it is very hard to start, and when it does it will idle fine but when you give it the gas it wants to die. I just don't know what else to check any ideas will be appreciated. I have put a new set of points in and I think I installed them correctly, but the problem is still there.
  5. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

The reason that the problem is still there after points replacement is because that was not the problem. Points do go bad and they do need to be installed correctly but if it will idle fine then chances are there is nothing wrong with them. A bog or stumble or stallling upon opening of the throttle points to a carb or fuel problem. From the limited info in your post I would suspect a clogged carb or an air leak at the intake manifold area. Try sneaking the choke on a little bit and then open the throttle. If this makes it better then we know it is a fuel and not a spark problem.