Old Kubota won't start

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Greybeard, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

A friend has a 1970's L185DT Kubota with 850 hours that they use now and then around the house. It always ran fine. A couple of weeks ago it quit and wouldn't start. After a lot of checking, it turned out there was some water in the fuel tank. Today we drained all the fuel right to the bottom of the tank, changed the fuel filter, bled the system, and we have new diesel fuel right up to the injectors. Charged the battery so it cranks fine, but still it won't fire, or even sputter. Anybody know any magic?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Need a little more info here. What color smoke is coming out the pipe? Done a compression test? Glow plugs working? Does it have a decompression knob? Just a few ?'s to get you started. Whatever else you do DON'T USE ETHER!

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Why not Ether?

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The tops of the pistons in Asian built tractors are notoriously thin. If you search for it at TractorByNet site there is a picture of what ether does (knocks holes in pistons).

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Not familiar with that Kubota, but have you checked the fuel pump ? Just because you found water in the tank doesn't mean that was the problem.
    Just because you have fuel at the the injectors doesn't mean you have the right pressure. Had that happen to me a few years back and it made me nuts trying to figure it out:cry:

ericg likes this.
  6. PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member
    from LA

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT... MOST LIKLEY ITS THE INJECTORS CARBON BUILT UP OVER THE YEARS.. WHEN IT GETS COLD PUT ABOUT 10% REGULAR GAS WITH A FULL TANK .. THAT WILL HELP WITH IT CRANKIN AND BREAK DOWN THAT CARBON... THAT IS GOOD TO DO I ALL DIESEL TRUCKS TRACTORS AND ALL...

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

All the fuel lines good? Could be a slight pin hole or something in a line resulting in a priming problem.