Old Ladies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by energy, Dec 30, 2003.

1. energy

energy LawnSite Member

I love my old ladies customers. They are just so full of talk. I have a customer that takes 15-30 minutes to talk to me everytime i maintain her lawn. So appreciative they are, give me sodas and cookies. I'll be old one day, hopefully i wont talk as much though!
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you have some of the customers I got rid of
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one that brings out a soda when she sees me loading up the mower. This year, I "trained" her to wait until I am done with trimming, and have everything loaded up. Otherwise, we had two talk-breaks, and that was just too much.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive trained a few myself
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I had to train them also, I usually never shut down a piece of equiptment without letting it idle so if I'm willing to talk to them I move the equiptment away from them and take off my headset, If I don't have time to B.S. I leave the equiptment running and just lift one side of the headset to see what's up before stopping work. If they want to B.S. most have learned to wait until the blower stops.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm down to one elderly customer. It's very time consuming when you have to talk to every customer 5-10 minutes every time your there. Most of my commercial accounts are too busy running their business than to spend that 5-10 minutes engaging in small talk.
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it can be very time consuming. On the other hand I really love some of my old customers. I guess this is where I take a look at it and remind myself that everyone has experiences that you can learn from. What you loose in time you may make up for in learning from their life experiences. I found that sometimes you have to sift through 99% of needless chat to find the point they're trying to make.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some are good, some are bad. I've weeded out the bad ones over the years. The good elderly are like gold.
  9. JLLawncare

JLLawncare LawnSite Member

I have a few older customers that love to chit chat. I always give them a few minutes of my time and it seems like it makes their day. I've built a good reputation this way and I can look foward to few more accounts this spring 'cause I'm such a nice guy!!! LOL
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing to remember is those old people attend churches, bingo, and any other group activity to take up some of their spare time, and usually know quite a few people. That's not mentioning how many kids and grand kids that are about your age who are potential customers. I have a whole family, and it all started with Grandma; 6 weekly accounts total. That's an extra $5800/yr just for taking the time to chat with Grandma.