1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old lawn mower blades?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lawn Enforcer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

What do you guys do with your old blades from your lawn mowers? I was doing some work in the shop the other day and I found a crap load of old blades. What to do with all of them? Thanks for your responses!
  2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I just did the same thing...I was cleaning my basement last week, and man I don't know how many blades I rounded up. It was a lot. I just loaded them in my truck and took them to my local county trash drop off center (or I guess they call them recycling centers). They have a scrap metal bin which is where I tossed mine.
  3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Haul them to scrap metal dealer and get paid for them.
  4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Yep, scrap metal yards will pay you for them. If you get a bunch of these it can really add up.

The scrap metal recycling centers at the dump around here really make some money on this. They charge you to drop this off then sell it to the scrap yards. Same thing for old appliances, grills and tons of other stuff.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to call and find out what they pay first :laugh:

Around here I recall many years ago what they paid hardly covered gas (and this was back in the days of dollar / gallon fuel).

So, hopefully you get a little more but ...
  6. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

You may be right TS but keep in mind that steel is bringing a much higher cost these days. Just make sure you have enough to make it worth your while.
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers pay me to haul their scrap iron away. (ie. stoves, swing sets, e'ct.)
    I throw them in a pile in the pasture. When it gets big enough, off to the scrap iron dealer !
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I should have called to see what they pay before I hauled mine to the trash dump. But my scrap yard is a lot further away than my local recycling center. So, I just took the easier route. I will probably hate myself when I call to see what the going rate is now. But I have more blades that didn't get hauled off, so I will call before I haul them off.
  9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Scrap them, if your smart you will watch scrap prices and wait until steel goes up then take them!
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but let's hope steel goes down a little. Or we will have to pay more on mowers than we could gain on blades.