1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

old lawnboy mower help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikem, Feb 27, 2002.

1. mikem

mikem LawnSite Member

Hi, i need some help with a old lawnboy mower. it wont start unless it has a hard spark i mean hard if it has a lite spart it wont even try to turn over, when it starts it will run fast. also does anyone know where to get parts for this mower think it was made in 1970 or 80's not sure.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i was told that parts are limited for the old lawnboys from that era.

do you have a model #
    or serial # to go by?

that may help
  3. mikem

mikem LawnSite Member

Hi, i got both numbers but i am not sure if the model number is right.

model # 8251
    serial # 6978390

4. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Use it for a boat anchor anb buy new. :D
  5. ohiolawnguy

cs lawns may be right about suggesting you buy new.
    try the lawnboy website, and click on retail locator.

since i dont know zip code for your area, i cant be of much assistance.

good luck,

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hi Mike,
    Your mower is a 1974 model. It has points & condenser under the flywheel. Those parts are stil
    available. The fast running condition probably involves the governor that is also located under the flywheel. There is a rod that sticks up from the carb. that goes up against the governor. When
    you get it started reach up & see if when you move
    the arm it makes a difference in the speed.
  8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

What ratio of oil to gas are you using. When you run the recomended 16 to 1 ratio the spark needs to be hot and the plug clean to start up fast. Try running a 50 to 1 mix. I run 100 to 1 Amsoil with no problem at all. Just something to check out. Don't get discouraged - for the most part they are hard starting. You can only get one or two revolutions per pull so pull fast. Also clean the exhaust ports with a wooden dowel or same. Take the cover off the muffler and there will be 3 exhaust port holes to clean. They are always plugged running 16 to 1 ratio.
  9. ohiolawnguy

im no lawnboy mower expert, but i thought they are suggested(by the manufacturer at least) to run at 32 to 1?

BTW, we run ALL 2 cycle equipment at 50 to 1.
  10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you may be right Ohio. I will check. This is what I remember running back in 1973. I'm still wondering about the ratio he is running.

Since he said it could be made in the 70's I suggested he was still running 16 to 1. I didn't check my manual but a quick search on the web popped up that Lawnboy's ran 16 to1 up to 32 to 1 ratio. I will check the manuals tomorrow.