1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

old leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CaptainslawnCare, Mar 24, 2004.

1. CaptainslawnCare

CaptainslawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I don’t know what to do about this one….
    This customer has been dumping leaves in one pile for the last five years and now realizes that she needs to dig a 110 foot(18inches deep) trench for electrical conduit that needs to go right through the pile. The pile is about 15 cubic yards or so. This thing doesn’t even sink when you walk on top of it. The toro dingo rental rate in my area is 195 bucks for 24 hours(with bucket for leaves, and trencher attachment). I can get a 12x6 hydraulic dump trailer for 150$ per day. They also want the leaves on a small hill removed as well, 150feet long\ 8 feet high(Hill). With the trench, pile, and clean up area, I’m quoting around 1700$ I’ve never touched this type of project…Too high/Too low?

Thank you for all replys,
    Captains Lawn Care
  2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome- where is mass are you? Just reading your description it sounds like alot of work. Those leaves are now compost/loam, I would try to get a backhoe or bobcat to move/load the pile. I think the dingo is to small. How many leaves are on the hill as well?
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm confused, do you have to haul it all 15 yards away??? Either way like Joel said the dingo is way to small for a job like that.
  4. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Strike a match.

Problem solved.

That will be ten bucks for saving you a days worth of work.
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

cant say for sure with out seeing it, but i doubt it would burn to well. majority of it is most likely good compost (after sitting for 5 years). yes some would burn but not much. also i think your price is in the right area however i would get a bobcat. that pile is going to be pretty hard to move.
  6. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

You should be able to rent a skid steer for not much more than that dingo. Even if you wouldn't "need" it, why pay the same amount for a less capable tool?
  7. CaptainslawnCare

CaptainslawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Mass

They are very picky in my area about when you can burn. Part of this is due to the fact that the local place that accepts brush, grass, leaves caught on fire. Anyway, a bobcat/backhoe won’t fit. It’s one of those deals(fence, trees, main road, telephone pole).
    I liked the dingo idea because it can do the trench as well. I know the bucket is substantially smaller than a bobcat. That price reflects all these obstacles. I don’t have a problem going 50% slower than a cat, as long I get compensated for the time.

The hill gets all the blow by from the main road, they haven’t touched this hill for a few years as well. Small pines keep all the leaves stuck in a web over the damn thing.
    I’m just concerned that my price might be out of control…if it needs to be lower than its not worth it for me to get involved.
    Jsaunders: plymouth county mass

Thanks again, chris
  8. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Having to do it with the dingo- the price is low. The hill sounds like it will take a while and will also be acouple of yards of leaves. It is also going to take about 3-4 trailer loads just to get the 5 yr old leaves out. I would look into taking down the fence and bring in larger equip. then put the fence back up after your done. Joel
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You could also call a local Nursery to see if they would want the compost. There are a few around here that would be willing to leave a 2 ton truck on the site for you to fill up so they could use the compost. I don't know your area, but it is worth a try.