Old Mower. When is it time for a new one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgl41377, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 Toro Zmaster 44 inch deck. I bought this used about 18 months ago. I had been part time until May 08 and thought it would last for a good while since I was PT. Now that I am FT, I feel like I am always buying parts. i dont mind fixing the mower, but sometimes the timing is bad. It seems like the dealer never has all the parts I need, so they have to order them. I make due though. I do have a 36 inch Exmark Metro I bought new as a back-up. Very well maintained mower. I can't really afford a new mower now, but when do you call a mower USED UP?

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours on it?? If 2,000 or better I'd start saving up to replace it.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Usually when mine start getting hard to start and just "look" old I usually start saving to replace them, however I do have an old Toro that is my backup in case something happens to another, only used it once so far this summer. Probably will use it alot on fall cleanups for the fact the bagger is pretty big on it.

4. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

Thanks. It currently has almost 1800 hours on it. I paid $2800 for it, so I feel like it was worth the money for the few years I have had it. Also, it would make a great back-up if i were to buy a new mower. I don't think buying another used mower for a full time operation is smart. Now another question. Exmark, Toro, Walker? I have dealers close to me for all these manufacturers.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

all three of the mowers you mention are great mowers depending on what you're going for. you cant compare apples and oranges. the exmark and toro are the same mowers w/ a different name tag. i disagree on buying used though, i buy all used as does a good friend of mine in town and i have yet to get a lemon. imo usually i can buy someone elses cash burden and get a great buy on a great mower. normally i can flip these mowers a year or so later and come out even or on top.

6. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

MississippiTurf has pretty much got it. After about 2,000 hrs start looking for a new machine. If your bagging alot and doing residentials.walker mowers are the best. Pretty costly but worth the money.:waving:

7. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to trade out the mower I have after 2 years once the warrenty is out and get a new one...and just keep up on the warrenty..but thats only for the one i use most of the time...

8. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Yep 2000 hrs is about it. You should start saving now and consider buying a left over 08 when the new models come out. Go test some of the models you like most dealers have one to try. You should keep your old mower as the back up. I doubt they would offer much for trade in.

9. tedfrk

tedfrk LawnSite Member

the dealer near me does not stock anypart i have ever asked for not one belt,tire,fuel pump,cables,nothing,I know i have to find a new dealer but he is close by about 1/2 hour.but i have to wait a week for the parts.

10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Id rather replace componets untill I cant anymore. To me it seems more economical to replace than buying a new mower.