1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old New Oil

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sugarridge, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sugarridge

Sugarridge LawnSite Member

I just cleaned out my barn and found a case of 30 SAE oil that is probably five years old. Of course it has never been opened but has been subject to the the extreme summer Florida heat in the loft of my barn. Does anyone know if any degradation of the oil has occurred or is it good as new.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't use it . whats another 20 bucks for some oil that you know is good and not risk blowing an engine.
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read the oil doesn't go bad sitting on the shelves but the additives weaken over time.

Here is a very good site with a lot of chemists, engineers and folks like us gather.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would just use it as chain bar oil myself, it's just about right for that.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothin wrong with it. Put it in and let it slide
  6. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

I have heard that oil loses its viscosity over time whether it is used or not. I would scrap it.
  7. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If kept clean and dry, oil lasts forever.
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

did you taste it? does it still taste ok? if you really want to use it and am paranoid by doing so something will break... then just put it in a chevy truck for the next oil change. that way if the engine blows cause the oil is old... itll be no major loss.
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Technically, engine oils have shelf lives of four to five years older oils most likely do not meet current lubricant standards. Toss the oil....
  10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Toss it my way.