Old NewEngland Granite

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Granite King, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Granite King

Granite King LawnSite Member

Hi Hardscapers,

Granite King here. Have been off this site for a while....busy building antique granite walls. Have many projects to share with you. The one I am going to show you today is our latest. It is a double sided antique granite wall in front of a period home dating 1860. This double sided wall was built out of old antique granite material with no cement. We provided all the material from our granite farm which is oldnewenglandgranite.com or thereedcorp.com my parent company. Feel free to comment or any questions please reply.

Enjoy and will be back with other projects from 2009.

Granite King:swedishflag:

doublesidedgranitewall.jpg

doublesidedgranitewall2.tif.jpg

doublesidedgranitewall3.tif.jpg

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I love the granite, that is beautiful! I am a little surprised that there aren't any tie stones across the top of the wall to 'knit' the 2 sides together. Just seems like you could get some movement on the wall over time and the little stones in the center could drop in and settle as the wall shifts. Beautiful looking stone though, I would love to do a project with some of that product.

3. Granite King

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply back. The pictures don't show everything about the wall but there are "knit" granite crossings in places but we have secrets to keep wall together. As far as the top stones which are cobblestones they won't move because the lower stone granite is back to back from each other so the cobbles are on the lower granite for stability.

Thanks for your comments.

Graniteman

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

hi mark you and biz just sent me a load ,looks good ,stop hogging all the best for youre self!let me know if you need a tender.

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Wall looks nice. My first though was the same about the top row. I do like to see stones front to back on top to add continuity to the look of the wall. With that said looks great. I have been collecting granite myself. just started though.

6. Granite King

Hi Crab,

Thanks for the reply. I hear what you are saying about the top. This was the first time we did a double sided wall like this but next time we will add cross pieces to break up the top. Alot of the block we split in 2 to double our product for the wall. Actually we hate to use any real choice pieces. We like to save for the customers like you.

Hope all is well with you.
    Have some great new products at the granite farm especially hitching posts and step material from an old mill.

Granite King
    "Mark"

7. Granite King

Hi Crab,

Foot note we did cross pieces down below and the wall granite is back to back tight for setting in cobblestones at the top.

Granite King

8. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Mark
    Good to see you posting again. Please keep the photos coming.
    The other Swed :swedishflag:

9. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

Is this a 'Sweedish' style of walling? Are you self taught? The check end looks funky... like it will fail. Why do you call your material 'antique granite'? Are the stones from foundations of old buildings or other walls in New England? I put 'through stones' in every 36" in wall length at 18" in height. Educate me more on the structural aspects of your wall. Nice stone.

10. Granite King

What type of granite do you have in your neck of the woods?

Granite King