Old Pros please lend me your tips on trimmer training :)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhettMan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

that's nasty
    too cruel (may be just once a day and not loud, as punishment or as last resort....don't forget to check if he memorised it correct (and not skip page or two)
  2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yes it does depend on the direction the string is moving. mine have always moved the same direction.

i just know i run the trimmer right to left. i walk backwards with it and it keeps the grass out of the mulch beds. if i walk forward with it all the grass goes in the mulch beds.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Let me turn this around & ask you the question:
    How exactly would the spin DIRECTION make a difference, either way, in the height of the perimeter trim? :confused:
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

He never said it affected the height. He was referring to grass being thrown or not thrown into mulch or rock beds.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

exactly, i never said anything about height. i was referring to keeping grass out of mulch/rock/flower beds. and DOES depend on spin direction.
  6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Go find a park or large commercial HOA and let him 'have at it'
    He is going to have to spend about 3-4 weeks before he will not mess stuff up--have him work in the back yards--use small cord--or go buy a little wedeater so he don't mess stuff up as bad--
    --let him take the weedeater home and mess up/practice on his own lawn--
  7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

You can always blow the grass out of the beds until he masters the weedeater--the most important 2 things are for him to NOT throw rocks into the glass and to make a straight line when edging --then, not hitting plants or jacking up the trees--then you can move onto other basics like--not reving the engine all the way up all the time, watching out for people and cars--a few rocks in theface will help with this--make sure he wears eye and ear protection--not a walkman and goofy, cool sunglasses