Old Push Mower Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 15, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

hiya all.
    i have a client whom was having me cleanup his old storage shed. I pulled an old mower out, he looks at it says, "well, i don't need that, put some gas in it and see if it works, if it does take it if you want". the mower is an old 22" 4HP self propelled mower. i think he said he got it a JC Penny. what the problem is, is that the self-propelled mechanism only goes backwards, is this fixable? i was needing to buy a new 22" mower anyway, but if i can use this one for the rest of the season it helps me greatly. any advice would be appreciated. by the way, he also offered me an un-used tow behind yard cart.

2. mike lane lawn care

boy, i'll tell ya, people will look at this thread and not post an answer.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, not to be a jerk here but take it home and take it apart! With no further details about this mower we cant bring up a diagram for the transmission or belt routing, etc. Take the buzzard apart and see if anything looks amiss. Thats what I would do.

4. mike lane lawn care

thanks, i'll porbalbly do just that. i can ususaly figure small things out, if not, my dealer owes me a favor.:)

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Mike, Got company this weekend. If this is the old style front drive with the cog-ed rollers that drop down on the front wheels The cogs must turn backwards to drive the wheels forward. If it's rear cog-ed drive the same applies.

6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

ive never see a self propelled walk mower that had reverse. too many idiots would run their feet over.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lol, exactly, it isnt meant to go in reverse that is the problem...:hammerhead:

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If it runs in reverse just turn the handles and that solves the problem.

9. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I've never seen a push mower operate in reverse and OEM makers would be crazy to sell them. If they did sell them they should include a copy of how to file a lawsuit with their paper work. If the mower is indeed operating in reverse(with the wheels on) about the only thing that could cause this is condition would be an improperly installed belt unless it is a make that I haven't seen before. I have seen the situation where they wouldn't pull forward due to improperly installed parts but they still would not go in reverse. Check your operation manual/parts breakdown for clues. Without a make/model you're probably not going to find much help here,

Dutch

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Depending on the design of the drive, some machines will drive backwards if the wheels are installed on the wrong side (right to left).