Old question - Scag vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liendeni, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I have personally never ran either but am looking to add another mower but went down to a local dealer who sold both Scag and Toro and stated to me that Toro was a better cut for residential but Scag was a better work horse for commercial.

Figured if he was recommending Toro over Scag (and he sold both) for residential...that would go the same for Exmark since Exmark is viewed as being a better cut quality than Toro. Looking for some justification rather than "I like ____".

2. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

EXMARK Frontrunner

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

How about you demo both then get back to us with a full review from pumps to quality of cut?

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy on my route with a Scag TT with a mulch kit and his cut quality is awesome! We cut some heavy St. Augustine and the quality of his cut is impeccable!

That being said, my JD leaves just as nice of a cut and I side discharge.

As far as Toro vs. Exmark the Toro would get my money first. One of the bigger LCOs here use the Toro Turbo Forces and they are some kind of machine as well.

Personally, I will stick to JD because my dealer has superior support and parts availability and I just love what my machine does for me on the turf!

Go out and demo, you should find your answer quickly. If the dealer tells you no demo, walk out. You don't want to buy there. Buy where they are happy to see you come in the door and treat you like a paying customer before you ever spend a dime.

Good Luck

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote is for Scag. I love my new velocity deck with the stripe kit. My customers are very pleased with the way their lawns look.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You have the Scag OEM striper? I heard a few stories about them being torn off easy so I was reluctant about getting one. How is it doing? What did it set you back?

In this area my Exmark does leave a bit better cut on normal lawns and my Scag is the work horse. Problem is most of my lawns seem to require a work horse this Spring. So the Exmarks resting. Nice little manicured lawn I'll put the Exmark on it every time. No way will the Exmark keep up with the Scag in heavy grass though and it's heavy in less than a week right now.

7. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I have had and do have both. Exmark and Scag are the top 2 in the business as far as I am concerned. Scag is a bit heavier duty but Exmark a few years ago was neck and neck. I have heard through this web site that the Exmark ZT's have dropped off considerably. Down here SCAG cost more and is a better product.(But if a mower only last as long as the engine then why pay the top dogs? If you can get a KAWI on a Yazoo Kees or Dixon????)

8. hurley'sland22

hurley'sland22 LawnSite Member

I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of any problems with the kohler engine in the JD G15 i am trying to decide between that or a Toro t bar 44in Proline. Just wanted to know which one is best.

Thanks

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I probably only have 30 hours on my G15 but the Kohler engine is great! The cut from that little baby is great as well. With timed blades it is surprising to me anyway how great that thing does!

I was cutting 12" of growth with no windrowing and it was some nasty weedy junk! No double cutting needed! I hate the fact that it is a belt and there is no option from JD for a hydro 36" mower.

10. hurley'sland22

hurley'sland22 LawnSite Member

Does it do good on hills and do you use a bagger?