old redmax g23l losing power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by beaver, Jul 22, 2004.

1. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

hello everyone.
    i have a redmax trimmer with a g23l engine mounted to it, it was manufactured in jan 1995 according to the plate thing

it seems to have lost a lot of power over the years, is there anything i can do to make it more powerful

I did remove the catalytic converter

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

3. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

the screen was removed to no effect

4. fixer67

Check the exhaust port and muffler. They could be blocked with carbon build up.

5. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

thanks for the help

when i was cleaning the port which was blocked up pretty well some of the carbon fell into the cylinder, i tried to get it out the best i could
    will this cause major problems?
    i did add more oil to the gas to helptry to clean it up most of it is gone though

thanks again for the help

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

In the future, make sure that the piston is at the top of the cylinder, so that nothing can fall into the cylinder.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

They were putting catalytic converters on trimmers in 95? This is news to me.

8. fixer67

They were putting catalytic converters on some backpack leaf blowers for sell in California years before there were any where else. How far back I am unsure. To date I have only seen catalytic converters on Stihl back pack blower not trimmers, yet. They will be on everything before long.

9. fixer67

Yes it will. You may have got it all out on top but if the pistion was at the very bottom it could have got below the pistion.