Old redmax trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker/redmax, Jun 3, 2006.

1. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I currently run a couple of the new strato charged redmax trimmers but was kind of wondering about some of their older models. Like the BC2600DL and
    BC3400DL in particular. I would like to hear from someone who has run the older and the newer models to see how they compare. The main thing that I like about the older models is the metal engine housing and the six inch trimmer head. I would be happy to try one out if anybody knows where I might still be able to get my hands on one. Thanks.:usflag:

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the six inch trimmer head sucks big time! its hard to get used to its larger size . i hated my redmax till i took off the stock head and now i love it.

3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to my Redmax dealer who knows someone who is getting out of the business and has a few of the older trimmers that he might sell me. I haven't seen them but from what I have heard they are lightly used. Is this something that might be worth looking into? Thanks again:)

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

The BC3400DL is a great unit. I have had mine for 3 year without a single problem. It is heavier then smaller trimmers, but you get used to it if you use it often. The 6" head is awkward at first, but I began to like the larger trimmer head and it holds a lot of line. The BC3400DL has so much low end torque too. I think I paid $450 for it when it was new.

5. xxl

xxl LawnSite Member
    from MO

Just got the BC3400DL love it when it comes to the big thick stuff

6. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I used to work with a 2600. Nice machine, not heavy, fuel easy and with good power. Low noise was'nt its strong point. Only problems I had with it were: a worn clutch bearing, a cracked transfer tube and towards it's end I replaced the reed valves to bring the power level somewhat back up again.

I now have a 2401 and it's very similar to the old 2600. The same power, a bit lighter and cheaper. This one has no tubing and reed valves, the strato ports are cast in the piston, so less things to go wrong. Well the ports were leaking once and I had to change the gaskets on them. Has the same cheap tank mounts and fuel cap venting that occasionally clogs up. Also vibrates a bit more.

So there you have it. An EPA compliant trimmer with no weight penalty and 100% 2-stroke. Aside from some minor glitches which were quick and cheap to fix it's very reliable. I don't see why you want the 3400. Anything over 1.4hp is overkill. You must be cutting some serious stuff.