1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old SCAG - Hydro Maint & New Deck??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pgiambat, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

Where should the fluid level be at in the tank? I have a scag sthm and I have the manual and it doesn't say where the level should be at. There is a filler tube that goes into the tank, should the level come to the bottom of the tube?
  2. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am not sure of your exact model. Most I have seen either have a sight glass in the side of tank, baffle, or dip stick. The fluid should just reach the top of the baffle inside the tank, the baffle is 'shorter' than the tank itself. With the glass, level should be halfway of the glass...you might want to check your filler cap to make sure the dipstick wasn't broken off if it did in fact have one.
  3. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

No sight glass, no mark that I can see, and the manual just shows the cap with no dipstick and the filler neck insert, which is just a tube with a flange that goes into the tank.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The manual should tell you how to check the oil level.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would go deeper into the hydro than just changing oil! I would try to check whether the drive wheel bearing are in good shape. Check for any leaking of oil by the bearing, that might inidicate a wear situation. If you replace the bearing before it messes up the shaft the cost is minimal.