Old school earthmoving

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Hanau, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been watching this miniseries on DVD called "WWI The War To End All Wars" and it's actually really interesting.

What amazes me is the amount of earthmoving the armies did to build the trenches and forts. They didn't have mini excavators, skidsteers, CTL's, or any of that. They used horsedrawn implements, but mostly it was all dug by hand with pick and shovel. The amount of engineering that went into their fortifications is impressive, the speed with which they were built is even more impressive.

You can still see remnants today. I've toured the battlefield at Verdun several times. The trench lines are still visible to this day.

Great DVD and I'd be happy to pass it around. If anybody wants to watch it lets start up a list. We can mail it around to each other.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Does it sho a lot of the earth moving and how they did it or just a glimps here and there?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hanau

About 2 hours worth over the 7.5 hour mini series.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

WW1 was always a war that has interested me.

But for some reason I never really researched it alot.

I'll take it when your done!

5. Hanau

No problem. PM me a mailing address. It was only $8 at ShopKo, so I'm not worried about getting it back. Mail it to Picasso or whoever after you're done watching it.

6. Junior M

10-4. If no one wants it next, I'll mail it back..

7. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd be interested to watch it as well. Whoever ends up with it and needs my address, just PM me when the time comes.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go and brab a DVD from the Antique heavy equipment owners convention in Alberta, done every year, I have a DVD from 2007 that shows horse drawn conveyor loaders and blades all the way up to 1960's building a road from nothing at the Reynolds Museum.

9. Hanau

Junior I mailed you the DVD today. I don't know your real name so I addressed it to "Junior M". I also put a crapload of heart and love stickers on it. On the back I wrote "From your stud daddy in Idaho".

Boy, I wish I was there while you're trying to explain that to ma and pa.

Anyway go ahead and pass it on to Picasso, who will send it on to DeereMan85. The rest of you get in line.

Been real, real, real busy. Trying to make some Lawn Site time.

10. Junior M

Oh dear god... I'll have to stop by the house on the way to work the next couple days and get it out of the mail before Mom gets it.. :laugh: