1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old School Mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carolinacutter, Sep 6, 2004.

1. carolinacutter

carolinacutter LawnSite Member

First night here ...been reading for a while..Great info. However i'm starting to feel like I"m the only one in here without a brand new $10,000 mower..I have an 94' John Deere 265 that been to the end of the world and back with me. Anyone agree or maybe I AM really alone!!!!lol

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

By the time I pay my business expenses, living expenses, taxes and put money aside for the winter, I don't have enough left over for expensive toys. Got a 2 year old $2300 Exmark. Anyway, for the size lawns I do, its not really smart to buy a big Z.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

alot of guys have older mowers, no need for added overhead if your set up is working for you and you're making money. especially if you buy used equipment. I feel the same way with my trucks sometimes, both from the 80's, then i get over it when i remember i'm not making payments and paying full coverage insurance, money saved is money earned. Now if i could get my wife to stop smoking...... talk about money saved. payup
  4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

2002 Toro all the bells and whistles. 9 grand. It gets pulled by a 1979 Chev 3/4 ton two wheel drive. ;)
  5. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Wish I'd had some advice on here when I started... I financed a $4000 Snapper ZTR last November on one of those "no payments until Jan 2005" thinking we'd make more than enough to pay it off before then, but now in Sept with the first payment looming (plus the $500 accrued interest) I may have screwed myself. Now looking back I agree with everyone else... If what you have is working for you then stick to it until you can afford new toys without putting youself in a hole. If my partner's land doesn't sell so he can pay the mower off then I have to try my hardest to see if I can't get it refinanced before we have to pay that interest.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, to a point. I would have bought used equipment myself, however, I couldn't find anything commercial worth buying.. And even the stuff I could find was either a ripoff, or rode hard and put up wet, I mean JUNK!! So now I pull 10k worth of equip/trailer with a worn out 82' chevy pickup :D .. Had to save money somehow.. although it looks like it's catching up with me.. the ole' 6.2 is finally layin' down... :(
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I use this
  8. John Gamba

from ct

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i thought the server went down :D :D
  10. John Gamba