Old School?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cos, May 30, 2001.

1. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

What is old school? Is old school wanting a cheaper price? Is old school always complaining about your service and the bill when it comes in the mail? Is old school always sending a check with out including the tax amount? If this is the case then I am glad I came from the new school.

I had an estimate to give to a lady and she said to give the neighbor a quote too. She said, "you might want to give him a cheaper price cause he is old school."

Can someone explain what old school means....!

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, someone described as "old school" would want the bare minimum. Just a mow and go, no trimming.

I had a couple of those til my conscience got to me, couldnt stand seeing the stand of straw around every tree come mid-June so Id trim it on my dime. Enough of that...

3. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Yes Sir, you are right that is what it means most of the time Mr. Tightwad wants a cheep price and has never heard of “tax on yard work I ain’t never herd o that”.

Quote the price no different than any place else and if he/she does not like it to bad.

Old school= tightwad, thinks minimum wage is $4.00 and you should work for that, wears those plastic dress shoes from mail order, thinks cell phones are for people that can’t yell loud enough, thinks the lawn stops growing when he tells it to, thinks his Olympic size pool in the back should not increase his taxes, has five different “members only” jackets to go with the plastic dress shoes.

Just some of the old school translations.
    :p

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The old school crowd wants you do cut every few weeks, make it look perfect, do other ad ons for real low and pay you about nothing for all the help you gave them. Oh, and they drive new Caddy's and want to tell you they have a budget.

Eric:angry:

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

They expect you to arrive with a plow horse and some slaves.

That is a weird lady to make a comment like that. Maybe she wants the estimate written with a fountain pen?

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Old school:

A Dr. told me I didn't need to pick them leaves up, they do the grass good layin' there all winter.

My yard looks like crap!

Well lets fertilize it.

If I do that I'll have to cut it more.

Well you were only here 25 minutes, at 5.15 an hour then I should only owe you 2.50, heres a tip for doing such good work.