1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

old seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crs, Aug 22, 2001.

1. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have about 250 pounds of fescue mix seed left from last year. It has been stored inside and kept dry. I was planning to use it this year but I wanted to know if the germination rate dropped over time or if it would be as "good as new."

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

From what i know, it should be okay just so it didnt freeze if it was in the cold.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

learned something else . i didnt know it woild kill it if it was in freezing temps . makes sense though. any other thoughts on this.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

crs,check out the germination but counting out 100 seeds and place them in a damp paper towel and a zip lock bag and throw it on top of the refridge (were it's warm) and in a week or so open it up and see howmany grass plants you have,and adjust your seed rate per m at that point.
    if its endophite grass seed it might be all gone being stored at the shop.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Cold won't hurt it too much as it can lay dormant in the soil and come up in the spring.

Heat is a killer.

Do Ant's germination test.
  6. One of my professors had said that as a rule of thumb after 6 mos. of storage you will see the germination percentage drop significantly. Definatley do Ant's test. I would say though that you may want to just burn it up somewhere if it has been sitting for a good amount of time. What I have done in the past if i have grass seed that has been sitting in my garage is I take is somewhere that it doesnt matter if it germinates, or it is consumed by the animals. I am sure you know the kind of place i am referring to. Like this you do not have to go back and re-do a guaranteed lawn.