Old Snapper Restoration - need opinion

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DIYJohn, Jul 15, 2004.

1. DIYJohn

DIYJohn LawnSite Member

I'm in possession of an older (about 15 yrs. old) 36" Snapper walk behind. It has a Kawasaki 12.5 HP engine (FB460V) that has been sitting for years. I plan to rebuild the engine and repair or replace the mower parts and paint. I'm a rookie at this but have some mechanical skills. I'd love the opinion of the professionals. Is this a waste of time? Is that engine worth the time of rebuilding?

A few details:

I purchased the mower in late 1999 for $200 from a guy getting out of the business (again) in Nashville, TN.. This was his backup mower. It was not running at the time, I never heard it run. My intension was to "restore it" as a fun project.

My mechanical skills are average or slightly above average, with no experience with small engine repair. I have plenty of tools (I'm sure I'll have to buy more tools for this project, yeah!!), air compressor, a great workbench and work area, and I have time. I'm recovering from two broken legs (15 foot fall when an extension ladder slipped out - ouch)

I purchased a workshop manual for the engine. (I purchased it online, it's a photocopy. They copied it from cover to cover including the paragraph that says..."No part of this publication may be reproduced...and then charged me $20. Oh well.) It appears parts will be available, at least for the engine and hopefully for the mower.

When complete I'll use it to cut my lawn. I'm not looking to compete with the pro's. I'd love to make a few sharp stripes in my lawn with my restored mower.

So, whadoyathink??

John in Plymouth, MA.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

"I'm recovering from two broken legs (15 foot fall when an extension ladder slipped out - ouch)"

It is not the fall that gets you, it is that sudden stop.

I say go for it. You may be able to go to Snapper on line and get a parts break down for it. They are in PDF format. I am not sure if they go back that far or not. You will have to post some pictures of it when you are done. Break a leg...oh sorry you already did that, twice

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

That brings back some memories, I learned on a Snapper 36" that my friend and I bought when we were in high school. Probably about the same age, ours may have been older. It was a good machine, and we did a lot of work with that thing. And you really can't go wrong with the Kawi 12.5. Good luck with your project