Old Super Z deck picture

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 22, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone have a picture or brochure of the old style (Non XR7 deck) from the bottom. Just wondering what changes were made when they went to the XR7 deck. I would like to look at the old baffles, etc.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a quick scan of the old brochure.

HustlerDeck.JPG

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here are both in one shot.

bothdecks.JPG

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking that all these stiffeners may have some negative effects as well.

They all fill with grass. I get up there with the scraper and all kinds of stuff falls out. The old deck was smooth here.

Any thoughts on this?

XR7deckarrows.JPG

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

im looking into the hustlers, i would also like any input!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How is this?

Messed around with some things.... Tough to draw those lines.

XR7deckraw1.JPG

7. tacoma200

I think I like the old deck better for my conditions and the new deck may be better for more rigid southern grasses. Not as much room for the vaccum to escape. I think your on to something with your drawings.

8. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that have used the new deck design do you notice any particular blade that cuts worse than the others? Possibly the middle blade or is it a pretty even problem with each blade.

9. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

I've got an 03' 60" that has the flat where you were talkin about. The mower is awesome except for every once in a while it leaves a blade or two uncut. I think I have to get the spindles realigned or something. One of the techs once told me the spindles are moveable, so I guess it may be a problem? Overall though I love the mower, it takes alot of abuse just what I need.

10. tacoma200

I'm just getting an uneven cut 3" and above. Ragged compared to other mowers I've used. Some blades of grass are layed over and never cut or at least not even. It does not miss many blades, it just doesn't cut them at the same height. My Exmark Ultracut that I'm used to has tremendous lift and sucks grass up tight before cutting it. Remember the flowbee commercials where the device sucks your hair up with a vaccum cleaner and cuts it all at the same length. Thats the Exmark cut (or used to be). With out this vacuum some grass never gets stood up so it is cut at a different length. This may not matter with rigid grass but with softer matting grass that wants to lay down it matters alot. Thats what makes Northern grasses stripe better, they will lay down in certain directions. The cut is just more ragged overall The higher you cut the worse it gets. It is across the entire deck. Usually not noticable driving by but if you walk up to it you can see the uneveness. Not the best explanation but I tried.