Old thread new input. Solo outfits, any left?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Was just curious if any of you are still operating solo and what your work load is. I'm expanding in the spring and can probably handle around 200 + fert customers and still maintain a couple of days of mowing on my own, any thoughts?

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

At the present time, I have a little over 100 fert customers and probably won't stop taking on more customers until I top 400, or 500. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

3. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

untill he starts messing around on my turf and im forced to smack him around a little

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I've been solo for 4 years, started out just aerating in my spare time, then added fertilization. Yes I'm licensed. Only do it part time. Got 160 customers and love it. Most of the competition is worthless. Can pick and choose the work I want-all referrals.

5. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I are starting a spraying company this next year. We started selling monday and have about 20 lawns already. We are going to share one truck starting out. I will sell at night, and he will spray in the day.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have near 400 customers, (maybe less after they get 2008 price increase. The price of fertilizer especially urea has gotten ridiculous.) Most 6-15k , 30 an acre plus. I have a guy help me 2-3 days a week. I have 2 trucks one of them paid for. I'll tell you though. I got real discouraged this year. I've gone through 3 helpers this year. I have them ride with me, I train them, and they quit a month after they are on their own.I pay pretty well , so I don't think that's it. I can't figure out whether It's the part time issue, the heat in the summer or people just don't want to work. I think this guy will stick with it but I don't count on anything anymore.... Other than that, I love it! Fert-n-sqrt only,no mowing customers

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Still work alone. I can do about 13 to 17 lawns per day, about 90 per week if I work Saturday.

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

been in the business since 85. close to 500 accounts. have had an employee or three along the way! lol but always end up going back to being a lone ranger!! less headaches. My son thats a fire fighter has help me the last couple years 2 days a week!

9. Victor

500 customers? :eek: Absolutely disgusting.

10. Victor

I didn't tell you about my plans to start heavily marketing in Upper Arlington and Grandview, did I Roger? :laugh: